Constant Velosity Joints

A

Anonymous

have got 2 outer c/v joint boot split today separated all the joints bit could then not see how to separate c/v joint from shaft,so i could replace the boot .Any help would be apprieciated as mot due next week.

J

jasegould

You have to knock it off. Use a copper headed or soft mallet and try to hit the inside of the joint (the part that is on the shaft). When you get it off there will be a round clip on the end of the driveshaft, this is what holds it on and has to go back on. BTW you shouldnt have to smash the f£$K out off it, just a few soild thumps should move it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The little round clip is like a split circle of wire, when you go to put it back on, just put the cv joint to the point where it's touching this clip and with a finger nail or small screw driver make sure the clip is seating just under the cv joint all the way around before you knock it on. It you don't and the clip is abit worn, you can get part of it under but not all of it, then when you try to knock the cv joint on, you jam it and knacker the clip. Believe me, I did it on my montego. :oops:

A

Anonymous

c/v joints

Does this mean that replacing the joint or boot can be done with the drive shaft still in the gearbox

Cris

If you clean out the joint with white spirit (or similar) to get all the gunk out then I found light tapping with a hammer on the shaft caused it to drop off.

NB This is the inboard end, the outer end does indeed need you to remove the circlip.

Does anyone know what the funny weighted rubber ring halfway along the shalf is for???

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Cris said:
Does anyone know what the funny weighted rubber ring halfway along the shalf is for???
If it's the same as on my montego, it's a damper, (for vibration I guess)

I've never bothered to clean a cv joint out before :shock: , I just top them up with more grease. I guess if you've been running with a split boot for a while it might be worth doing tho.

A

Anonymous

this post is very helpfull as i just got home and thought my car was on fire, smoke was pissing out everywhere, had a looka and theres grease comming out of the rubber boot that connects to the rear diff, on the right hand side.
so i presume this is the cv joint, do i just order a cv outer boot or cv inner boot, or the cv repair kit???? or will i need all 3????
is the rear as easy to change as the front, or not..as im not good with mechanics...
thanks and releved now i know it an going to cost a fortune, lets hope not too much grease comeout as i was driving it...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You'll probably get away with a repair kit. That should include a new boot, grease and clips to hold the boot on. Just tell them which cv joint it's for. If it's the diff end it's the innner cv joint, wheels end - outer joint.
I've never done a rear one before, so I can't say wether it's hard or easy to do. You might need some oil to top up the diff too.