Cooking Oil

H980 Pulsarkid

Everyone remember the damn hot weather we had last year ?

I was racing a white pulsar up Bluebell Hill in Maidstone, fun yes, looked at oil temp and noticed it was reading 100+ .....what effects could this have had on the engine as I now notice that my oil temp does seem to get quite high whereas I never noticed this before - not as high as 100 degrees now obviously but still higher I think.

Ive changed the oil twice since that time - ......car seems fine generally but does need a tune up as is running a bit rich .......

My question is do you think this may have done any internal damage hitting such high oil temps through the summer months ? Car def feels slightly slower although that could be cause I am too used to the power etc !

:?

Keira

what oil you using ?

Wouldn't worry to much, mine was heading for the 100's chasing gary on saturday, only way to solve it is to fit an oil cooler.

Wouldn't do any damage for short periods, would worry if it was like it all the time, but the harder the engines working the hotter it will get

J

Jon

is it only running hot when ure ragging it or is it most of the time now,
even just cruising around?

J

J-GTi-R

H980 Pulsarkid said:
My question is do you think this may have done any internal damage hitting such high oil temps through the summer months ? Car def feels slightly slower although that could be cause I am too used to the power etc !

When I used Magnatec I would regularly get 100+ oil temps when really ragging it. I now use Millers or Castrol RS 10w-60 and that helps keep the temps lower, but even then it gets high after a very good thrash. It won't do any internal damage, just make sure it's changed regularly.

As for the slow down, yeah that'll be you just getting used to the power, happened to me a few months after buying mine but my brother got in it and said 'what the fuck do you mean it feels slower, it's still completely fucking mental!!' lol.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
H980 Pulsarkid said:
Everyone remember the damn hot weather we had last year ?

......... Car def feels slightly slower although that could be cause I am too used to the power etc !

It feels slower because of the hot weather and thus higher intake charge temperatures. That means a less dense charge, less air means less power. The opposite is why it feels faster in cold weather, a more dense charge equals more power.

100degs isn't realy that hot, so I wouldn't worry.

Keira

you probably look at your oil temp gauge more now cos your worried about it, so would notice any differences more often and convince yourself somethings wrong.

mine goes anywhere from 85-100 ish depending on how much abuse its getting

H980 Pulsarkid

Thats a releif then - I never really noticed my oil temp being that high previous to the hot weather and then bam I was like oh shi.t better back off as this is very hot.

It still gets upto those temps sometimes but I think It may have me being a sissy and worring about it a bit more BUUUUUUTTT yes I had been using Magnatec !!!

Ive done regular oil changes on her so thought it would be ok but I wasnt sure it would perhaps tempt fate a little with pushing those temps up. Glad to hear other people are around the same sort of thing. I was driving back from southend a few months back when there was a snow shower and real cold rain - my oil temp was at like 70 degrees and my engine temp hit the deck too - was weird to see the dials that way round !

Thanks for the reasurrance peeps - think an oil cooler may be called for at some point ! ! Mr Mocal !
:D

turblio

I find with Castrol 10 /60 mine sits at 75/80 and only gets to 95 if I have been really bullying it!
Frank