cooling

C

carpy100

anyone know of any benefits or disadvantages of running with large amounts or even pure antifreeze in the cooling system.what would be the optimum ratio for hard driving in the summer?

youngsyp

What would really be better is 100 % water in the cooling system. Water has a much higher latent heat capacity than antifreeze etc... I.e. it will carry more heat away than an antifreeze/water mix.

However, this may lead to over heating, antifreeze protects against this as well as freezing and, the lubrication of the water pump ! Water won't do this !

It may be worth bunging in just water and half a bottle of Redline Water Wetter and see how you get on ?! Just keep an eye on that temperature guage :wink:

Cheers

Paul

geetee

higher ratio of anti-freeze to water gives better corrosion inhibition and protection against freexing (strangely enough) - but reduces ability to remove heat.

I would not be tempted to move away from the recommended ratios stated on the anti-freeze packaging. Instead if you find your water temps getting too high, perhaps you need to consider a bigger / more efficient radiator. But honestly I think you'll find it's your oil temp that becomes a problem before your water temp - as long as everything is as should be.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

C

carpy100

reason i posted was because id read "antifreeze and summer coolant" on bottles of antifreeze in the past. so naturally assumed that putting more in would cool more :?
perhaps this stuff had an additional coolant?