COuld Master Cylinder be goosed?

Sam_M

Ive just changed my rear discs and pads. All seem to go well, Slackened the handbrake cable, wound the pistons in using one of those piston block connector. replaced the discs and pads, put back on. Now the handbrake feels good, but sometimes the brake pedal goes to the floor (altho does actually brake when at full travel), seems to be after every 5 or 6 pumps, but then comes back up again to a solid braking feel.

Surely the master cylinder couldnt be knackered just from changing discs and pads could it? I left the resevoir tank cap off while winding the pistons back in so there was no build up of pressure, but now the cars probably a danger to drive and I cant see any leaks, the resevoir hasnt gone down at all.

Any clues? could it be air in the system, altho surely the feel of it would be the same all the time if there was air in the system.

Thanks
Sam

O

Odin

I think you need to bleed th brakes as the first cause of action, Maybe you let one of the pistons pop out unknown to you.

At least you can discount air in the system once you've bleed them, You can then look at things like the master cylinder.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

as rob said, deffo air in the system, if you let the laster cylinder run dry then you will need to go round the whole car bleeding them. start at n/s rear then o/s rear then n/s front, o/s front last of all.

and make sure the reservoir is topped up all the time, if it runs low then youll have to go round again!

Sam_M

Thanks Rob & pulsarboby, yeah I shall do that tommorow, altho one of the pistons did go out quite far before I realised I was going the wrong way :doh:. Didnt really think anything of it after winding it back correctly. Hopefully it is that, would make more sense really.

Last edited:

Animaldaz

Hey Sam, agree with the others on this. Did you get your starter fault sorted? Saw you yesterday going through the cuilfail tunnel, exhaust sounded quiet.

Sam_M

Animaldaz said:
Hey Sam, agree with the others on this. Did you get your starter fault sorted? Saw you yesterday going through the cuilfail tunnel, exhaust sounded quiet.
Hey Darren, I thought it was you!!!!, when I went through the tunnel I had a thought, was that Darren in his beast of a Micra.

Yeah Exhaust is quiet :p I kinda got used to it now, but at least it wont rust away like the old system. The other advantage is, I can use the handsfree and listen to music, but I do miss the roar. Still got to get the old tail pipe fabricated to join onto the middlepipe above the rear subframe.

The Starter has be fine, which is very strange, may have been muck or something on the terminals.

Animaldaz

lmao, beast more like pussy cat. Still it does the job, second class driving is better then first class walking. Went round the block in mine the other day and its not any louder then the full goose system so thats good, first time ive driven it in 4 months and i didnt realise quite how much i have missed it!! might be because ive been used to 60bhp but the R did feel quicker with the elbow and air filter re-location so im pleased. Glad your starting problem has sorted itself out.