crazy egt gague reading

topdoggtir

okay here is the situation, i have a greddy egt gague like this

and the temp on driving stays around the 7 mark as shown, but know as i have noticed on hard driving, note i have large flames coming out the car it shoots up to this
and the waring light comes on, it even hit 12 :shock: , eveything else is fine oil, boost temp pressure but i think this egt is doggy, note i think they mounted it in the exhaust, so when i hit huge flames it rockets up, or on hard driving on the motorway, fcuk what could it be :cry:
the car starts off like this
on 4 then after 10 mins up up and fcuk damm that high???????? :idea:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What boost are you runnning? Possibly you're running abit lean at the top end and so the egt is rising.

topdoggtir

iam running around 1.27-1.30 bar mate, i have an uprated fuel pump, plus, leads etc, front mount,filter, full exhaust from turbo??? does it need setting up, the turbo is smoking a bit and whistling, apart from that everything else is fine??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it hasn't been set up before, then I'd certainly think about getting it checked out to be on the safe side.

Defo summin to worry about as anything above 900*C and your into meltdown territory, hence the red strip on the guage.
Does sound like a dodge gauge as normal drivin should take you somewhere in the region of 400*C and not 700 :!:
Ben

J

jiw

i have a similar gauge and im mounted 1" away from the cylinder head on pot 1, on normal 70-80mph cruising i see 700-750 c and the highest i have ever saw is 850 on the peak hold, jeff.

C

chrislloydus

EGT is a weird thing - you can be running too lean, or you can be running WAY rich to get a high EGT reading. You would have to really pour the fuel in to get a high EGT when rich, but you say its smoking and flaming so it sounds like a possibility !! Sounds like unburnt fule is making it into the exahust and combusting in the manifold. Running that rich can kill the pistons/sleeves (from borewash) and the manifold and turbo from overheating.
Pull a plug and see what colour it is !!

LeeSmith

Fast Guy said:
What boost are you runnning? Possibly you're running abit lean at the top end and so the egt is rising.
I agree, had a similar thing with an rx7 EGT was hitting 1200 with the same gauge you have there.

was leaning out.

F

fiecos dan

650- 700 oC is ok on normal drivin, but flat out you dont want to see more than

925-950 oC, if probes in mani
875-900 oC if probes on down pipe next to turbo,

two things can cause high egt's,

lean fuelin.
or to retarded ignition, due to high boost- high c/r engine, or timing out, or det sensor playing up.

no matter if you believe it might be gauge, best you get fuelin checked as above 900 oC is in the danager zone.

try turnin boost down to std boost and see wot egt's your runnin.

but egt's should raise to peak and hold it, but if it still rises you have a problem.

Dooie Pop Pop

i have a similar greddy egt gauge i dont think iv managed to get it over 700 odd despite my attempts :lol: its mounted just after the turbo.

C

chrislloydus

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i have a similar greddy egt gauge i dont think iv managed to get it over 700 odd despite my attempts :lol: its mounted just after the turbo.
Thats why then - it should be before the turbo in the manifold (ideally in the collector). The turbo acts as a giant heat sink so you wont see as high values after the turbo. The readings will also be delayed a little which could spell trouble. Id move the sensor if i were you !

Nad

chrislloydus said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:
Thats why then - it should be before the turbo in the manifold (ideally in the collector). The turbo acts as a giant heat sink so you wont see as high values after the turbo. The readings will also be delayed a little which could spell trouble. Id move the sensor if i were you !
IIRC the best place is actually in the runner coming from the leanest running cylinder, this was discussed before elsewhere.

Nad

Dooie Pop Pop

yup Nads right as usual :wink: leanest runner is best or so iv read. my comment was a bit missguiding though as iv not had much chance to really give it some proper stick yet.

C

chrislloydus

I agree but you wouldnt necessarily know which cylinder is the leanest (it isnt always no.1). The material in the collector is usually a little thicker and crack resistant. Moot point anyway - put the EGT probe before the turbo and it will give much better and more accurate results than after the turbo :D

J

jiw

I have been advised by many people that the furthest cylinder away from the inlet on the fuel rail is the most likely cylinder to run lean, thats why i planted it their :?

Should i move it to the collector?

ex-gtir

high egt can be lots of things best bet is to gauge it by the deepness of colour when it glows
:wink:
high egt can be
too much advance
too little advance
lean
rich
etc etc etc
heres where my probe is on my evo leanest runner