Damaged front chassis legs

jonny5

Firstly would like to say hey to all the forum members, being a silent member I have muchly benefits from the weath of knowledge you guys have already posted on here. who says flattery wont get u places ;-)

My wee pulsar is running aight, but the front chassis legs are bent, both offside n nearside. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem before and if so how much time and money they threw at it to make it better. It drives alright still and u cant really notice any pulling.

I have spoken to nissan who quoted me 59.86 exl VAT each . Would it be easier to get em straightened at a coachworks or u guys figure I should just replace them?

Much appreciated, my regards to the missus(s)

Jonny.

O

Odin

Never seen that kind of damage before unless it's been in a front ender :shock: :doh: , You could try a body shop and see what they say about doing the repairs, It might be OK to pull them straight, Then again it might not. Best to get it checked over though, You don't want to end up dead because of a catastrophic failure :shock: :cry: .

Rob

jonny5

Thanks for the reply Rob, I was afraid that this was the case, be paying em a visit at my next earliest convenience. all the best mate.

Last edited:

youngsyp

Afaik, the chassis legs are structural ?! If you can replace them with new items, do so. Especially for that price !

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Lets get this right, which part of the chassis are you talking about, the chassis rails that run under the front driver/passenger floor pans and the anti roll bar bolts too or the front legs under the bonnet that the engine and front suspension bolt too.

jonny5

stevepudney said:
Lets get this right, which part of the chassis are you talking about, the chassis rails that run under the front driver/passenger floor pans and the anti roll bar bolts too or the front legs under the bonnet that the engine and front suspension bolt too.
Its the front legs under the bonnet that the suspension bolts onto. Im not too technically minded so u reckon the engine would have to be hoisted - maybe the most 'tarded question of the month. As Rowan Atkinson said in rat race 'I hope I win' (tarded question of the month)

Yea I quoted the price for parts only in my last post, so Im guessing its gunna be a lot more to fit, if i was to get em fitted by a garage.

P

pulsarboby

just seen this post!
thats one hell of a job to replace those legs, 100% not a diy job!

they need to be fitted properly with a proper welder to weld them, the legs need to be aligned on a jig also.
the front part of the car carries a lot of weight and stress in every way, and if they are not fitted by a proper company then you could end up in a rather serious accident!

if the legs are slightly twisted then they can be aligned on a jig but it will always remain a weak part of the vehicle structure.

imho i would look for another clean rolling shell and just swap your engine and transmission over and let the scrap man take that shell away, you wont lose an awfull lot as you can still sell the panels etc to get some money back.

but the job (if done correctly) would far exceed the cars value, so theres no option there really, unless your happy driving around in a potentially dangerous car!

just read that again
do you mean the suspension turrets on the inner wings? :?
if so then thats a different story, and not such a big job to fix:-D

Last edited by a moderator:

antgtir

I concur with Bob, to weld a new set of chassis legs onto the front of the car would require a professional to set the car straight on a jig before being able to weld the legs in the correct alignment.

With regards to strength, the legs once welded in will be as strong if not stronger than original. The welds will never break if done correctly, the only weak spot as it were would be around / either side of the weld where the metal has been heated and cooled therefore seperating the molecules.

I would get a professional to quote the job first before you start going down the route of a new shell etc.

Ant.

jonny5

Hi all, thanks for the help, Like you said Ant, I am gunna drop the car into the bodyshop asap and get a quote.

Bit of a nightmare as I have only recently bought the car from an importers. There was a slight creak when I bought the car. This was noticable when I, say negotiating a tight roundabout - tbh I put this down to worn bushes, but as time has passed (just over a month) the creeking has only gotten worse. Now this noise is apparent when I'm starting/stopping (even rolling starts) and espec when I put full lock on the steering wheel. I have checked had the car checked over and it seems that the creeking would be down to these bent legs.

I have brought this problem to the importers attention who as yet are to respond. The Pulsar came with a years warranty but as it seems the problem was there when I bought the car I doubt that they (auto protect - warranty company) will coup the costs. I knew I would have long terms problems with tha pulsar (and was prepaired to deal with them) but never suspected this.

Hopefully I will have some better news to post in the next few days.

Have a gd one guys

Cheers

Jonny

youngsyp

As the chassis legs are a structural part of the car, and they were damaged when you bought the car, I'd say it's not fit for purpose and, is potentially a death trap.

Choose your words with the importer carefully bud and I'm sure you can get your money back, with little effort. If not, threaten them with trading standards. You'll have the proof, once you've visited the body shop.

Good luck bud.

jonny5

Hey guys, have had my car thoroughly checked by the body shop who assure me there is nothing wrong with my pulsar! well besides a lil kink on the jack point.

Back in the day I used to love kinked rails (skateboard stylee) but seems no big deal in this context. So im all smiles here xD.

I Will be looking to make some performance enhancements shortly so may require some further help in due course, provided the topic hasnt already been covered ofcourse.

All the best,

Jonny.

O

Odin

Good news Jonny, At least you did the clever thing by getting it checked properly and can now have some peace of mind, As far as the car's safty goes.

Rob