dead turbo time to upgrade 2871rs

RCMini

The turbo in my car is dead. I took the inlet pipe off and the shaft does not rotate at all. I am planning on a new turbo but worried about fitment. I've been all over many sites and just looking for some advice to make sure I get the right one. I am looking at getting this turbo http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-022&Category_Code=GRT

What options do I need to select to fit the R the best. I am planning on the .86 AR model to go on the stock manifold. My car set up is 91RB, APEXI AVRC BOOST CONTROLLER , SUPERSINGLE EXCEDY STAGE 3 CLUCTH, CAT-BACK EXHAUST. Walbro fuel pump upgraded fuel pressure regulator, large front mount.
pics of car http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3356375

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
A GT2860RS might be an easy option to fit to your car and will give good performance. Just an alternative.

RCMini

Well I am going to buy tonight. These are my two choices. What are your opinions? I am going with the 2.75 intake for sure to ease the installation. First I was thought about the .64 AR since there really isn't much highway driving here and quicker spool up is always fun. However I have read in the forum this turbo may suffer from surge problems. So I think I am going to settle with the 86Ar.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-4]GRT-TBO-026 [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-4]GT3071R-WG Dual BB, 86AR, 90 Trim Turbine [/SIZE][/FONT]
GRT-TBO-025 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]GT3071R-WG Dual BB, 64AR, 84 Trim Turbine [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-4]$1,285.00 [/SIZE][/FONT]

Trip

if you want a faster spool turbo go for the GT2871R with 86A/R.. but it will also restrict your power by around 50/70bhp

RCMini

I looked at the 2871r really hard however I figured if I was going to upgrade the turbo I might as well upgrade for more power. In the future I will want more anyway. We all do eventually. Has anyone driven in a 2871 powered R and a 3071 powered R. Which one was the most fun. 2871 I'm guessing this decission is killing me.

Trip

Pulsarbobby did recently on track, and he said that he felt the spool up time difference between the two. I just sold my new 3071 and going for a 2871. But for my needs i better have faster spool Vs. more power. Its all about your likes at the end of the day.

RCMini

On the 2871 the site I am on ATP says to get a 2.75 inlet you have to upgrade to a Larger T04E Compressor Housing do you happen to know if this larger compressor housing will still be a direct bolt on or will I have fitting problems with it?

pulsar350R

ave had this turbo fitted on my pulsar, gt2871r .86 a/r 4" inlet running forged engine, it spoons up quick, but its a bit laggy as ave got a slighter longer intercooler run, am hoping to get a short run and get it remaped proper to get more out of this sick unit. i just love it when it spoons in at 3.5k all the way to 7rpm