Does this sound right to you guys??

G

GTiR_Nick

Ive not long had an engine rebuild so i thought to be on the safe side to have a diagnostic run on the car to see if everything was running as it should be. All was well until we got a percentage on the fuel mixture. Now on idle the fuel mixture was 9.2% and at cruise speed it was 9.6%. Ive been told to run the car rich but is this too rich????
Second question is there any way at all of removing the power steering pump without taking the engine out?. Im being told two different things so i just thought i would ask you guys for any info at all.
Many thanks!!!!!

P

papdog

In answer to your second question yes you can if you go in from underneath. It's a bastard of a job but it is possible. Just don't expect to have much skin left on your hands!

Graham

G

GTiR_Nick

I think anything would be better than going through the hassle of having the engine out again! Cheers bud

P

papdog

I had the same thing. Replaced my engine, put it all back together and the PAS pump was leaking. Didn't fancy taking it all back out either hence the scraped hands!

Graham

A

AJ4

not really sure what you mean by the '%', do you mean its running 9.6% fuel to 90.4% air ? In that case its 9.4:1 AFR which is way too rich.

For lean burn cruise it should be around 14.0 to 14.7 :1.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I got my PS pump out through the drivers side wheel arch. It had the pulley on and the metal pipe on top. The biggest pain was trying to get it out of the gap, but it did go. Putting it back, I left the metal pipe off until it was back in place.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
AJ4 said:
not really sure what you mean by the '%', do you mean its running 9.6% fuel to 90.4% air ? In that case its 9.4:1 AFR which is way too rich.

For lean burn cruise it should be around 14.0 to 14.7 :1.

Agreed... What do you mean by %...?

You want to be 14.0 for normal drive through the town... If you are at 9 then you are WAY to rich!... Bad for running in your engine....

Rishi

G

GTiR_Nick

Im not too sure myself about the % i was just writing down what the guy put down on the sheet, i really have no idea myself without trying to sound too stupid. So where do i go from here to stop the car from running so rich? Cheers for the info too on the ps pump that is good news!!!!

MarkTurbo

Where was it measured? At a garage?

Sounds to me like the CO level % ie the emissions test that usually gets done at mot time ;-) If it is then thats rather high :shock:

G

GTiR_Nick

I had a guy come out to my house in a van to do it. How would i go about dropping this level then??

O

Odin

GTiR_Nick said:
I had a guy come out to my house in a van to do it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: You Muppet :der:

I can't believe that anyone would stupid enough to let a man in a van anywhere nere there gtir :shock: :? :roll: .

Rob

G

GTiR_Nick

Considering im banned from driving and i cant take the car to any garage to be looked over what is the problem with someone coming round to work on it on my driveway???? You are a freak!

O

Odin

GTiR_Nick said:
Considering im banned from driving and i cant take the car to any garage to be looked over what is the problem with someone coming round to work on it on my driveway???? You are a freak!

See thats what mate's or family are for matey ;-) , Driving you motor when you can't :roll: .

So you just saying that your billy no mates :der: :lol: :lol: :lol: .:lol:

Rob

G

GTiR_Nick

The car is not insured so why should i let anyone use it? Grow up you sound like a little kid!

O

Odin

GTiR_Nick said:
The car is not insured so why should i let anyone use it? Grow up you sound like a little kid!

Get out of bed the wrong side did we sunshine :der: :roll: .

Rob

paz

Ignore him fella, sounds like you need to get a proper mechanic out though - are there no garages round our way that will come out to see you, I think Smiths in Bolton (I've used them in the past) will trailor the car for you.

Paz

T

tro||

if you've been banned why worry about it anyway, aint like a cars anygood to you whether it works or not :lol: :lol: