Doesn't go into gear very well....clutch or box???

S

StateSideKendon

Well, I got the car about a week ago, had no problems when I drove it home (the car was warmed up).

Now on cold start it grinds into reverse (I didn't force it all the way in) and doesnt want to go into 1st-5th. I let the car warm up for ~3 minutes to see if it helped and no luck today.

Yesterday when I drove it it had problems for a minute or two, then cleared up, was a bit difficult to go in, then finally went in nice and easy.

Wondering if this is a gearbox BIG problem, if I should try changing fluids to synchromesh or a different highly recommended fluid or if it is possibly a clutch problem.

The reason I mention the clutch is that it's like the clutch isn't even depressed when I'm trying to get into gear. Although, once the car warms up and does go into gear, the clutch has no problems at all and will hold full load.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

--Kendon

EVOBAD

might be your clutch box & clutch support bracket which is under yuor dash just abov your clutch a mate just had similar problems

S

StateSideKendon

i'll lookup what to check for that....not sure what to do.

just went outside again, it'd go into 2nd w/ minimal difficulty, put it in/out a few times and then it went into reverse/1st etc, not real easily, but it went in.

EVOBAD

ul hav the clutch paddle just follow that then ul see the suport bracket does it look damaged ,does your clutch squek alot as thats a sign of it going

S

StateSideKendon

clutch doesn't squeak and the bracket still is in good shape.
the adjustment cable is all the way back though...may try messing with it.

S

StateSideKendon

Davey what did you do to fix it? Adjustment of the cable or new clutch altogether?

P

pulsarboby

there is no cable its hydraulic!
try adjusting the pedal height by the pedal, this will give you slightly more leverage.
then try bleeding the clutch and make sure the arm is fully engaging and dis-engaging.
if that dont work then check the clutch release fork on the box isnt split or bent as this will also give you probs.

if that all seems ok then it could well be the clutch assembly needs replacing.

S

StateSideKendon

(that's what i meant....adjusting the pedal)

thanks for the help.

S

StateSideKendon

ya..i fixed it. it wasn't the gearbox it was the clutch....pedal was only depressing like 3 inches.

problem #1 on new pulsar = over

LeeSmith

pulsarboby said:
there is no cable its hydraulic!

then try bleeding the clutch and make sure the arm is fully engaging and dis-engaging.

if that dont work then check the clutch release fork on the box isnt split or bent as this will also give you probs.
I agree with the above, mine started to do the same, then my clutch fork snapped in two at a very busy round about!!