DOH! DOH! and DOH!

LeeSmith

Just blew my feckin gearbox!

in 5th gear just flew out on the motorway likw i put the clutch in, now 1,2,3,4,5 don't work.....makes a nasty noise & u can hear bits fling round inside....

cars still under warranty so it's going in - but gotta wait till the 21st cos they R busy.....
:(

LeeSmith

me too.... i knew it wouldn't be much longer though as 1st & 2nd failed to work a few weeks ago....then it was ok, now 5th blew straight outta gear at speed, then 4th worked, then died then had only 3rd, then 1 & 2 didn't work, then box totally jammed up and doesn't work at all....

LeeSmith

my thoughts exactly.......got to wait till the 21st now :evil:

how long does it take to take a gearbox out of a car?

E

Edd

depends how they do it and if they've done one before.

should be able to get it out in 2-3 hours max.

you should convince them to fit a quaiffe gearset, find out the cost as if you have munched every gear in the box then it might even be cheaper or not much more expensive for quaiffe box :wink:

E

Edd

£1625 + vat for the gearset

But they will already be doing the labour fitting new gears (if youve munched gears) and you will most likely need new bearings/syncros anyway.

Should look into it, might cost you bit more but even if it cost you £1000 it'd be worth the extra to get a quaiffe.
Find out how much damage is done to your box first as if gears are broke it could easily go well over £2k

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
LeeSmith said:
aren't Quiaff ones like £3000???
As Edd said its about £2000 for the gearset but then you'll want or probably need to replace the other little bits like bearings, syncros, baulk rings etc... Thats another £500+...

Then labour for building the box by someone who knows what they are doing because remember you have to machine the case to get the Quaife Kit to fit...

Rishi

LeeSmith

I've just checked the warranty of the rebiuld and it says it was done on 11/6/03.....my box broke on 11/6/04!!!

does that mean it is covered under their warranty for the gearbox still or does it come off the extra warranty that i took out on the car??

I guess it will be theirs? seen as it's on the borderline of the 1 year..???