Drilled and Grooved

R

R-Man

Just wondering does anyone know which way the grooves should run when fittin the discs {with the direction of rotation or againist} just ther is a sticker on one and nothing on the other 3, the one with the sticker is stating for the left side but the groove direction will be running againist the direction of rotation is this right?????

B

Batch21

The grooves should run with the rotation, if you were looking at them while the wheels are spinning it would be like how a catherin wheel would spin

)-->
<--(

I.e. like this

R

R-Man

Batch21 said:
The grooves should run with the rotation, if you were looking at them while the wheels are spinning it would be like how a catherin wheel would spin

)-->
<--(

I.e. like this
Cheers mate :thumbsup: thats what i was thinking it would far eat pads the other way, i think someone put the sticker on just to confuse matters:?

O

Odin

It all depends what you want really, Mine face the other way because I get far better bite from them, But the disc's & pads wont last quite as long but I want the best stopping performance not longevity.....

Rob

B

Batch21

I always thought that grooved discs were so to dispurse residual water/dust on the discs? in which case surely having them going the other way would totally negate that as the water could gather towards the center of the disc?

Noth 100% sure but i thought that's why they were grooved. Cross drilled is for cooling, letting surface heat disperse while the pads are creating friction?

May be wrong. Never seen a porsche/ferrari with the grooves the other way round.

Not preachin', just thought?

B

Batch21

the chief said:
the grooves clean the discs. porsche/ferrari have them that way so pads last longer
Would someone who could afford a £100,000 car care how long the pads lasted?

geetee

When I got my Pagid discs they were labelled up Left and Right.

When fitted the grooves go against the direction of rotation.

/-->
not
\-->

Also take a look at AP Racing's website
http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/bra...ntification.htm

***snip***
Most AP Racing Brake Discs feature Curved Vanes. The brake discs are handed and should be installed with the cooling vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation as indicated in the sketch.
***snip***

That is more to do with the fact that they use curved cooling vanes in the centre of their discs though.

Cheers
Graham

Last edited:

geetee

And the grooves are not there to disperse water........ discs get up to 600 deg C even on a road car..... ain't going to be much water hanging around on there.

Yes they will shift dust to an extent, but mostly they are there to help vent the gases produced as the pads vaporise under heavy braking. If not dispersed, the gas sits between the pad and the disc...... which is what makes the pedal go rock hard and give you no braking effect (brake fade).

youngsyp

As has been touched on, it doesn't matter which end of the grooves or drilled line you have leading, they'll both perform in the same way but, shift the crap in a different direction ! Personally, I like to have the drill hole nearst the outside of the disc leading, as on most OE drilled brake systems.

As geetee has said above, the function of the grooves and drill holes is to shift the gas byproduct away from the pad/disc face to reduce/eliminate brake fade. An added function of a grooved disc is that it can also deglaze a pad face as, it basically skims the surface of the pad when the brakes are applied, on each disc revolution.

And neither method is for disc/pad cooling, that's what venting the disc achieves !

Personally, if you're just using the car on the road, I'd go for a high quality drilled only disc as, it'll help the pads to last longer and be much less noisy with less vibration in operation. Drilled discs are also self cleaning where as grooved tend not to be as good in that area so, negating the function of the grooves.
I say a high quality drilled disc as, if the casting is not up to scratch, it can crack around the drill holes.
If you use a good high temperature pad, you shouldn't have to worry about the pad glazing either !

Last edited: