drive shaft seal

G

GAZ P

What side :?: I've got to do my drivers side one, should be pretty easy but then again I'm a mechanic :wink: I pull out my driveshafts about once every 3 months to change driveshaft boots so if you need any info on that PM me as I do them in 5mins wiv one hand tied behind my back & blindfolded :shock: :lol:

C

chris-b

i gotta do my o/s/f seal. gis some tips- i'm a monkey too :wink:
btw-y do you have to change em every 3 months?
cheers chris

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GAZ P said:
I do them in 5mins wiv one hand tied behind my back & blindfolded :shock: :lol:
Why do you want to blindfold a hand? :shock:

You don't even need to take the driveshafts out to change the outer boots. :wink:

Only change them when split unless you're ultra keen and change them for the sake of it. Check them regularly tho :)

G

GAZ P

Track days & the car sits very low.To pull out the O/S drive shaft.Jack up car & for f*cks sake use axle stands.Remove wheel, take out split pin from hub nut then slacken it (30mm I think & F*ckin tight, a bit like one or two people on this site :lol: )Undo the steering track rod end & split the ball joint trying not to f*ck the rubber :oops: .Undo the two 17mm nuts/bolts that hold the hub to the strut and pull the hub forward then pull the drive shaft out of the hub.You may need to use a small lever bar to prise the shaft out of the diff housing job done :!: Any probs PM me :wink: I should be working for Haynes :lol: :lol: :lol:

R

richpulsar

or give it to youe local mechanic n he will do it for 40 quid :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you have trouble undoing the driveshaft nut the way outlined above, after taking the split pin out, put the wheel back on and drop the car back on the ground and if you still have trouble, get a friend to sit on the brakes as well.
Also you can just knock the cv joint off the driveshaft, you don't have to take the whole driveshaft out if you don't want to, but it may be more convenient if you've never done the job before. :)

Tony

You must hav small mates if they can sit on your brakes!!!! :wink:

If i take out the rear drive shaft will the oil come out of the diff????????

Tony....