Droning off throttle

CruiseGTi-R

I know ‘whats this noise’ posts are tedious, but here’s my latest one.

Can hear it as a droning vibration, audible at anything above 20mph, but the clue might be that it only occurs OFF throttle or on a trailing throttle.

Don’t think its CV’s as these normally clunk/click.

Say you’re in fifth at 80mph, come off the throttle and the whirring/droning noise can be heard clearly enough and felt slightly through the seat :? . It’s the sort of noise you’d dismiss unless you knew it didn’t used to sound like that :roll: .

My best description now just needs a few best guesses.

Toby

O

Odin

Just gag your girlfriend that should stop the droning pretty quick :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Or stop listening to your barry manilow cd's :shock: :cry: .

rob

CruiseGTi-R

I've tried the car both with and without my girlfriend in the passenger seat.

My findings were that whilst the car is indeed quieter, less stressful, cheaper, handles better, cries less, can watch what it wants on tv and is more likely to pull other birds when my girfriend is not in the front seat, the droning noise is still apparent.

I also find that turning up Barry Manilow to ear bleeding levels will cancel out the car droning, but between songs (the silent bits) I can still hear it, so its not a perfect solution.

Gearbox mount eh, mmm, you've had similar?

I'm off to search for 'gearbox mounts' like a good forum user.

Any other ideas?

O

Odin

:lol: :lol: :lol: LMFHO lol.

I think you'ev forgot to remove the real culprit mate :cry: , Is your mothering law still straped in the back seat :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I'd of thought that it could only really be something like a wheel bearing or propshaft mount/bearing, Does the sound speed up as you go faster?.

It could of cause be a clutch release bearing problem as well or dif's you never can tell lol.

Just a matter of working your way through everything till you find the culprit :wink: .

good luck rob

CruiseGTi-R

Mother-in-law is in the boot, holding the battery in place, all in aid of better weight distribution and less understeer. The parcel shelf muffles her droning quite nicely :lol:

I'm going to start with wheel bearings, prob the cheapest and can't hurt to have nice fresh ones on :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

does it get worse when you turn the wheel left/right? any play in the bearings could be felt by giving the wheel a good old pull about