ebay front monts

webba23

Hi,

I was just wondering has anyone bought one of the cheap front mounts off of ebay? If so are they any good?
If not what front mount would you recommend?

Cheers

Matt

Trondelond

Seems to me a lot of them are Autobahn88 kits, and I've seen them sold for a lot more than the £250 you can pick them up for off eBay.
I've had one myself, and the kit seems just fine. However - it'll need a bit of modification to your precious; wiper fluid bottle and battery will normally have to be relocated to the rear of the car. I also noticed that the piping that was supposed to go over the hose from the radiator didn't do just that - go over that is. So - the radiator would have to be lowered about an inch, or you'd have to come up with some custom piping/hoses.

However - once mounted, they should be quite good. I went for an ARC TMIC instead when I saw what I had to do to fit it. Ironically, I'm considering getting an FMIC again.

Trondelond

The ARC was a straight bolt-on job if that's what you're asking. :)

And I doubt that you'll lose _that_ much response if the piping is sealed tight. it'll be a little more volume to compress, but that's what we have boost controllers for ;) I'm sure someone who actually _has_ an FMIC can shed some light on it better than me.

Here's what it looks like with the ARC :

webba23

I just looked into the ARC and it was around £800 which is well out of my range at the minute. Car has cost me close to 900 already this month. Going to have a think about which way to go over christmas I think. I do like the look of the front mounts though, but then again its not about looks.

Trondelond

I suppose it does depend on what power you want - the ARC will keep up just fine with the original turbo as far as I know. I'm running 300-something horsepower now (261WHP) on the stock turbo.

If you're going for a bigger turbo, I'd seriously consider something that could shift more air than the ARC.

webba23

No plans for the bigger turbo yet. So far I'm running a exhaust, de cat, induction kit and 1 bar on manual boost controller and had it rolling roaded at 288.6 on Monday so was well pleased with that. Not looking to go mad with power, would like to see it go over 300 but as I use it every day need to keep it to a reliable figure.

Bart GTI-R

Im currently installing the front mount (Autobahn88 ) on mine, the hot pipe from the turbo is the only thing causing me trouble. It requires the bracket bending or cutting off that is supposed to hold it to the engine, It also doesnt line up straight so Iv got a welder to cut it and line it up straight (£20) but apart from that you've got to mod the front bumper do some cutting, but its a nice bit of kit.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Speak to KevD from Apex Performance. He has a few kits going for around the £200..

GTi-R23

They do require a bit of work to fit, or at least mine did, the core bolts in place easily, it's the pipework that's the hassle, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and you're handy with a spanner, then they are good kits for the money.

Matty B

i bought an autobahn 88 kit off fleebay for £250 but think they have now been reduced to under £200. Took a day to fit and so far so good. The washer bottle needed moving to the other side of the car and i had to modify the two brackets but that was it. Well worth the money. Only downside was it took a while to arrive. They sent the pipe work the next day but the cooler took 2 weeks.

CanadianR

I got mine delivered for 350 (175 GBP) to canada.

installation was a bit of a chore, one of the IC pipes going into the cooler was too long and we ended up having to hack off 4" off the bottom end of the pipe. Besides not coming with any mounting nuts on the core itself (I got them welded on later) the kit was well worth the money easily.