Electrical type whistling noise on idle and acceleration....

paz

Before anyone says it, no, its not the turbo :lol:

When I started the car up this morning I could hear what sounded like (but wasn't necessarily) an electrical type whistling noise.

When I rev the engine, or accelerate under load the whistling seems to get louder (although not VERY loud) and more high pitched.

The fan belt on the car has been slightly loose recently and either needs tightening up or replacing, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Paz

geetee

It's not coming through your stereo / speakers is it?

If so it's probably an earth supression problem. I had an old Cavalier that would get whizzy whiny noises from the front speakers even when the stereo was off :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

paz

No it sounds like its coming from the engine bay, although the type of noise its making did remind me of an interferance problem.

paz

J

J-GTi-R

My car used to do something similar, the alternator can make a fair bit of noise until what ever it is making the noise warms up. Does it go away after a while?

paz

It does seem to. Today is the first day I've really heard it, but driving into work I go through a tunnel, and I could clearly hear the whistling then.

I'll just have to take it into the garage and see what they say.

Paz

geetee

Alternators on the way out can get a bit whiny too.... I think it's the bearings more than anything.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

A

AZ STE

It will be your powersteering tends to make this noise when cool

J

jiw

is their any way of reconditioning the ps pump, im removing my oil pump and water pump this weekend, might be worth doing this too, jeff

?

:( Got ur PM Paz, sorry about the whistling but i've no idea really. I had a similar noise in my old Civic and it was the water pump...but don't take that as advice, just thought i'd stick my oar in. :oops: