Electronic rust protection fitted!

keastygtir

Just had my electronic rust protection system fitted!

My car has never been welded so I thought I would try it out and see if it help keep it in good condition.

The science of it adds up but who knows?

I will let you know in 5 years if it works!!:thumbsup:

vss irvine

what you using?

we use electronic systems on boats to stop corrosion aswell, didnt know there were vehicle based systems

keastygtir

Unlike boat systems the car stuff is based on capacitive coupling technique (google is your friend). This used in underground piping etc, in the lab it would seem to be very effective but in practice I am not sure. There are as many positive opinions as negative ones.

As a side note were you able to get my bushes posted mate?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'll be very interested to read about this; from what I've seen so far they use the paint to create a cathode, which then gives you a protected surface layer around the metal... but what about the areas which aren't pained or that get a battering from stone chips? - I don't have time to read it all now, but I'll be very interested to see if the science adds-up or if it's just fuel magnets all over again.

In short though, it's using what's usually an undesired effect; cross-talk induced impedance. So the theory is that by running a circuit one way through the car body, you induce capacitance in the paint (which then causes a monolayers to form between the paint and the body).

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Would sacrificial protection not work? Using something higher up in the electrochemical series. A big huge lump of lead on each rear arch lol

keastygtir

Thats the whole issue really. If you need the paint to act as an insulator, anything not painted would rust. However if its painted/waxoyl from the start it would rust anyway!

At least the science is right (unlike the fuel magnet) its just a case of it working in a vehicle enviroment.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is the science right though, that's what I'm asking. It's all very well in theory, and it's been a while since I've done any corrosion chemistry, but I'm not convinced that it isn't just a localised effect.

keastygtir

There have been lab tests on car panels etc which have worked ok. I suppose if I had the correct instrument I could see if there any difference in the current on the body shell?

shroom

is it just too much effort though?, my car is fine and its a H reg, proper underseal and care i.e waxoyl and cleaning it properly has made it last this long without any signs of serious corrosion so is it realy any use on a nearing 20 year old japanease import, good on you for doing it if you think its worth it :)

how much was all this?

keastygtir

The system cost me a about £50, I thought I would try it at that cost. I myself am not entirley convinced it will work but I lost my s13 to rust so I took the gamble.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Well, for that price it's probably worth a trial - as you said, let us know in 5 years how it's going! ;-)

shroom

ah I completely change my mind in that case, I was thinking alot more so £50 is nothing realy, yer will be interesting, can you target area's in particular or is it a full cover I dont realy understand lol

keastygtir

Yes mate, 1 pulse wire at the front and 1 to the rear to give total sheet metal coverage (except stuff attached to the chassis by rubber mounts etc)