Engine Coversion Possibilities....

LeeSmith

Right, u hear of all these corsas & nova's etc changing the engine/gearbox for better ones in the range like the calibra turbo etc....

Is there anything similar we could do (without downgrading...)??

for example one that has a stronger gearbox, internals & can produce more power etc.....

G

GTiRich

I have often wondered wats involved in slotting in an RB26DETT engine. I'm guessing it would be a case of lengthening the whole car which would involve a hell of a lot of work to fit it in :cry:

mattygti-r

the only stronger engine than the sr variant for thepulsar is the RB unit

i think , but you wont get that in the car and its mountedround the other way so :lol:

G

GTiRich

If you got the money it should be possible but it would be bloody expensive!!!!

A

AJ4

there's an SR20 somewhere with a 'v' in it, SR20DEV ? Its naturally aspirated but has something similar to VTEC... puts out around 180bhp which aint bad with no blower...might be interesting adding a supercharger :D

I

Innovate Performance

Dont forget you have the good old 300ZX V6. They can take some big power.

MarkTurbo

Theres nothing wrong with the engine in the R :wink: Its just the gearbox that needs sorting :lol:

Wasnt someone looking into using an evo box on an R engine the other day :?: I think the gearbox/transferbox arrangement on an evo is pretty similar. And the clutch is easier to change too :lol:

J

Jamz

Why not go the whole hog and use the evo engine too :D To answer the original question, the engine is very good it's just the box/running gear that needs looking at.

A

Allan GTI-R

the only engine worth looking at is the SR20VET released in Japan only - more power than the GTIR engine, but chasing high hp i'd stick with the engine you already have :)

P

PrimeraRacer

Ross said:
there's an SR20 somewhere with a 'v' in it, SR20DEV ? Its naturally aspirated but has something similar to VTEC... puts out around 180bhp which aint bad with no blower...might be interesting adding a supercharger :D
its the SR20VE engine yer one about I think.

as also mentioned above, the one to go for is the SR20VET engine. as far as I know they are only available in the Xtrail GT and that is only available in japan.

New SR20VET on X-Trail GT model is world's first
turbocharged engine with variable valve lift and timing (VVL) system.

I tried to track one down a while back and it would actually work out cheaper to import an Xtrail GT and swop the engine with a standard SR20DE and then sell it on..... the engines are rarer than anything I know!

Would be cool though, they knock out about 275-280bhp as standard.

here is a bit of info on said engine

Code SR20DET (NEO VVL)
Manufacturer Nissan
Type S-4
DOHC
16 valves total
4 valves per cylinder
Main bearings
Construction
Bore × stroke 86.00mm × 86.00mm
3.39 in × 3.39 in
Bore/Stroke ratio 1
Displacement 1998 cc
(121.925 cu in)
Unitary capacity 499.5 cc/cylinder
Compression ratio 9.00:1
Fuel system EFi
Aspiration Turbo
Compressor type
Intercooler
Catalytic Converter Y
Max. output
(JIS) 279.8 PS (276.0 bhp) (205.8 kW)
@6400 rpm
Max. torque
(JIS) 309.0 Nm (228 lbft) (31.5 kgm)
@3200 rpm
Maximum rpm
Coolant Water
Specific output 138.1 bhp/litre
2.26 bhp/cu in
Specific torque 154.65 Nm/litre

O

one Gti-R

out of all the avaliable East West Engines the GTI-R already has the best avaliable.

there is no need to change.

THere is a Twin Turbo SR20 over in Japan, I don't see the point but its something different.

The weak point would have to be the gearbox. However an uprated box PAR, PPG Mondea box will sort that problem out.

I have always thought if I had an open cheq book I would Supercharge the engine aswell. as running the turbo set up aswell.

along with that and a shot of NOS as well

More for the reason that no one has ever done it rather than power results.

JIMMYBACK

one Gti-R said:
out of all the avaliable East West Engines the GTI-R already has the best avaliable.

there is no need to change.

THere is a Twin Turbo SR20 over in Japan, I don't see the point but its something different.

The weak point would have to be the gearbox. However an uprated box PAR, PPG Mondea box will sort that problem out.

I have always thought if I had an open cheq book I would Supercharge the engine aswell. as running the turbo set up aswell.

along with that and a shot of NOS as well

More for the reason that no one has ever done it rather than power results.
thats the route im going buddy like u sed its only money :twisted: :twisted: