Engine is out and stripped!!

skiddusmarkus

Well after my car got a bit poorly at last September's Jap show at the Pod,the engine is finally out and stripped down.I asked to look at the head and pistons to see what the damage was and the head looked fine,so did the pistons at first glance.Closer inspection revealed that the ringlands were broken on no's 2&3,hence the low compression.The sides of the pistons are scored too which I expected as it's been overfuelling for a while.
The good news is that at least it wasn't detting(all 4 piston crowns&valves look fine) so my turbo won't have ingested a load of hot metal.
Also,my oil pickup was full of red sealant,so I might see an increase in oil pressure now it's not blocked up with crap.
With any luck it'll be done by the end of the month/beginning of next which will give me a few weeks to run it in and get it mapped-roll on TOTBIII 8) .

Moved to Tuning - FAST GUY

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Nice one mate. Good to hear the damage isn't to bad

You remember that engine I got from you months ago, well when I stripped it down piston number 4 had broken ring lands and number 4 rod had spun a big end bearing, but nothing to bad, he crank and block are fine but not taking any chances I got another set of standard rods. Anyway it's all going off to the machine shop in the next couple of days.

In fact I'll recommend the machine shop whilst I'm on the subject, a place called South Cerney Engineering and Bassett Down Balancing, both in Swindon. I've known these guys for years and between them they do allot of work for a couple of the Touring car teams so they know there stuff.

Anyway, the block will be chemically cleaned and crack tested, the deck cleaned, then the crank journals checked for straightness then the cylinders bored and honed to suit the 87mm Wiseco forged pistons. The crank will also be cleaned, checked over then reground to suit some new undersize bearings. Then everything will go off and be balanced. As a ball park figure I've been quoted about £500 - 600 for the lot which I thought was OK.

So like you I should be run in and playing with more boost in a couple of months, :twisted: then I'll just have to save a few more pennies and sort out a Quaife gearbox :?

Good luck and hope all goes smoothly with yours though

skiddusmarkus

Kirko-87mm Tomei ones.

Steve-glad it was ok(despite bearing and piston),but like you said they are all easily swappable.As soon as I sold it I wished I hadn't :lol: .

M

madbazza95

mods

skidus wot mods you going for port&gas flow head? lighten & balance bottom end? 1mm head gasket. and???

skiddusmarkus

Had a look at head today and there was damage to 3 valves-one bent,one cracked and one with a chip in it.All caused by debris from cracked piston ringlands on 2&3 and maybe sparkplug electrodes.Luckily they managed to get me 3 new valves next day for about £20 each.
Should be built up for end of next week if all parts I'm waiting for come :D .