Engine needs a rebuild :(

Radleigh

Well, must say, Bad luck don't come much worse, than it has done with this car....

Since I've done the gearbox, its been running on what sounded like 3 cylinders, Not done any milage in it as I been to paranoid with it. Iain said to me, Guy from Power Engineering to get it to him to get him to have a look at it with his compression tester, So I drove it down the other day, and left it there, Been busy myself so not had chance to go down, Got down there yesterday afternoon, and said I'd pop back today to do some tests on it.

Before my head gasket went, the compression was (6 months ago, and had work carried out at TOTD since then! :doh: )

Cyl 1 - 185
Cyl 2 - 180
Cyl 3 - 180
Cyl 4 - 185

Done some tests today and they read

Cyl 1 - 165
Cyl 2 - 145
Cyl 3 - 155
Cyl 4 - 160

Also, My dizzy had been set to maximum advance timing, So its also been detting its tits off.

Lovely

Done a cylinder leak down test and Cyl 2 was 24% leaking

I put my hand by the breather and you could feel the air coming through, from where its passing the piston, through sump and out breather.

I'm lucky I have just started a new job, as I would of never been able to keep up with it, I'd have prob just sold it for scrap tbh, But I'm going to keep with it now my money is better.

Plan is :-

Arias Pistons and Eagle rods from the states (anyone know where from?)
GT3071
Evo injectors
and a remap on the standard ECU with a Z32 AFM.

Should do some decent figures, but I'm not chasing numbers, I just want a quick car

Bit gutted, But a big learning curve as I'll be doing most the work myself under supervision:thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

those compression readings before head went are well high:shock:
think the highest ive ever seen was 175psi which was on an almost new engine.

also if you had the timing turned right the way round to try to get aligned then surely the engine timing was out, which would also give you unusual compression readings, why not double check that first?
may be to late now but sounds like when your gasket was done the timing wasnt done correctly.

also when you carried out leakdown test on cylinder, i take it this was done electronically by a suntune or similar to get the 24% down on other 3?
have you tried a drop of oil down plug hole to rule out the valves and a possible head problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkTurbo

pulsarboby said:
those compression readings before head went are well high:shock:
think the highest ive ever seen was 175psi which was on an almost new engine.
I still get over 180 psi across all 4 cylinders and my engines done quite a few miles now ;-)