Engine rebuilds

Pete Watson

Need to get my engine fully rebuilt, can any of you guys recommend a good builder as well as a good place to buy bits?

Does anyone know how good the Crank and Rods are?

What's works well as in, valve size, cam profile, porting & polishing, port matching, blueprinting etc etc

Lighter Flywheel, worth it or not?

Looking to do some Hillclimbs and Sprints next year, i really need a setup that will work well on Hills and give good torque!

2.2 maybe, what do you think?

Any help always appreciated

Cheers Pete

Si..

theres loads of good places to get a good rebuild mate, it just depends how far your willing to travel, or whose close to you.

the std rods are pretty decent, especially when lightened and balanced along with the crank, and the crank is fairly solid, a few people have gone over 400bhp with the std crank.

if your hill climbing the torque increase you'll get off the 2.2 kit will be well worth it. :wink:

as for the lightened fly wheel, it is worth it along with lightening the whole bottom end, i think all the 2.2 kits come with there own flywheel.

ashills

crank and roads will be fine to 450 get the rods shot peened and arp rod bolts set of pistons get it all balanced then get head flowed and some 264 cams hks head gasket or similar at 1.2 or 1.4 should see a very nice negine good for 450 if not more

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Pete,

not being funny but have you used the search engine :wink:

I've just finished re-building mine and the questions you've asked could each have an answer about 4 pages long. Fortunately they've all been asked before as so many of us on here have had their engines re-built.

If you're competing, find out what the regulations are first. If you increase the capacity of your engine to 2.2l are you then in the next category up? What bhp is everyone else using.

If you're racing the car, factor in a new gearbox as well if you're exceeding 300bhp.

My advice is get searching the forum as any question you have, once you've refined the answers its very rare you won't find the detail you need.

Finally, what's your budget. Many people on here could advise you how to build a reliable 400bhp hill climb car..... you would need £10-£20K though.

Nad

campbellju said:
Finally, what's your budget. Many people on here could advise you how to build a reliable 400bhp hill climb car..... you would need £10-£20K though.
Yeah tell me about, TBH stick with the 2l, much easier to get into classes not next to some stupid 700bhp car.

For the time being id it ever gets finished I am going to use the 2.2 first but then swap the engine for a 2l but to standard size bore etc, got more chance like that to get into the lower classes.

Nad

MarkTurbo

If you're planning on hillclimbing it dont bother with 2.2. You'd be better off spending the money you'll save on a decent gearbox :wink:

Pete Watson

Cheers Guys for your advise, i have made a few enquiries this week about ways to go and have decided to stay away from the 2.2 set up, i knew it would put me up a class but not into the big car power bracket.

I am going to go for a Quaife Gearset, just need to find a good price to supply and fit.

Has anyone had any engine work done by Norris or Interpro, are they good or just expensive, private message me with answer.

Thanks again

Cheers Pete

P

pimppulsar

i've been very impressed with the re-build simon norris did on mine, the guys full of to much knowledge, sorted out my quaiffe as well!

give him a call about your requirements and i'm sure he could sort you out :lol: