Engine removal

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Removal can be done if you have a couple of large trolley jacks to replace the crane but you do risk the engine falling off the jacks and breaking something. Replacing the engine and trying to line the engine mounts is almost imposible without a crane.

Crane hire for a weekend is around the £30 mark I think and money very well spent. I have now done this job more times then I care to think about, so much so I actually went out and bought an engine crane.

Any other questions please ask away

Steve

ChrisS

Cheers steve. Only need to get it out for now, and cant get hold of a lift. Will get hold of one to drop it back in.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Do you 100% understand the procedure of getting the engine & box out ?? it has to be dropped through the engine bay onto some sort of trolleyon the ground and rolled/draged from under the car and in order to do that the front of the car has to be lifted close to a metre off the ground. This is where the crane comes in to actually lift the car clear.

You would be so gutted if it fell off the jacks and you broke the throttle bodies or gearbox bell housing e.t.c.(thats what happened to me :cry: and it was an expensive way to learn )

Most Hire companys will deliver and collect for a tenner or so.

What was it Granny used to say "if a jobs worth doing ..........................."

ChrisS

Yeah, fine with the proceedure. Ive taken the gearbox off with the engine in situ and pulled it out the same way, so shouldnt be too tricky.

Gray

Just make sure you put a load of old matresses down in case it falls
Or do it on a bouncy castle - easy clean up

If I was to do it Id hire a crane but only cos I'm not confident