exhaust emissions

kirko

when you take your car in for mot do you put the cat back on
mine has just failed the emissions test

A

Anonymous

kirko said:
when you take your car in for mot do you put the cat back on mine has just failed the emissions test
you could if it only just failed but,if you've tuned your car a bit :wink: ,you might have to take some fuel out of the map to get thru the test.

what you need is a performance car friendly MOT tester :wink: most of the tuners have 1 :wink: :wink:

A

Anonymous

kirko said:
i wonder if its because its only done 100 miles since a rebuild
if it's only just been rebuilt,it should be running the cleanest it ever has :shock:

what have you done to it :?:

geetee

how old is it and is it an import?

different emissions regs apply depending and not all MOT stations are on the ball

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it before August 93? if not tell em it's a C reg so you only need less than 3.5% CO :wink:

andygtir

mate i think you should get it checked out. i run no cat and mega rich fueling and my car sails through the mot and the bloke who does it is old school and wont let anything slide.

for the import gtir theres no need for the cat, so its allowed:

CO: less than 3.5% vol
HC: less than 1200 ppm vol

and i got 0.43% and 65 ppm vol respectively

to fail this i would say theres something wrong! :?

lakeview

ive had mine mot'ed by 4 different places and have all said the nissan pulsar was not on their database so coudn't check emissions correctly so never checked it

andygtir

ive had mine mot'ed by 4 different places and have all said the nissan pulsar was not on their database so coudn't check emissions correctly so never checked it
yeah thats right- they can only put it through the basic test, which is a piece o p*ss to pass.

S

Stoned

andygtir said:
mate i think you should get it checked out. i run no cat and mega rich fueling and my car sails through the mot and the bloke who does it is old school and wont let anything slide.

for the import gtir theres no need for the cat, so its allowed:

CO: less than 3.5% vol
HC: less than 1200 ppm vol

and i got 0.43% and 65 ppm vol respectively

to fail this i would say theres something wrong! :?
Does that apply to later 94 models as well?
Mine's an L (94)

andygtir

ive got a feeling it goes up to '95 M - before they tightened up the regs for non-registered cars but im not sure.

try phoning some clued up mot stations.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's from the start of K reg (Aug 93?) when it tightens up.
Kirko, did you pass yet? I saw your car back in the garage today :wink:

W

WRW76

the start of K reg is august 92!
Fast Guy said:
It's from the start of K reg (Aug 93?) when it tightens up.
Kirko, did you pass yet? I saw your car back in the garage today :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ok it's from the start of K reg, Aug 92 :oops: :p

Passenger cars:

First used before 1/8/1975 - Visual test only. Failure for excess idle speed, dense blue or black smoke for 5 seconds at idle or during acceleration up to 2500rpm or half engine max speed whichever lowest.
First used between 1/8/75 and 31/7/86 - meter test CO <=4.5%, HC<=1200ppm.
First used between 1/8/86 and 31/7/92 - meter test CO<=3.5%, HC<=1200ppm.
First used between 1/8/92 and 31/7/94 - advanced emission test (CAT) if its running on petrol when presented, to the vehicle specific limits usually around CO<=0.3%, HC<=200ppm and Lambda 0.97 - 1.03. Remember from 1st August 2001 a basic emission test will be carried out initially.

Note that the tests vehicles for first registered on or after 1/8/92 require expensive exhaust gas analyser equipment which is usually only available to the trade. However, there is DIY equipment available which is relatively inexpensive to enable emissions tests on vehicles prior to that date.

Vehicles with 6 or more seats are not passenger cars and are subject to less stringent requirements usually:

Registered between 1/8/92 and 31/7/94 - meter test CO<=3.5% HC<=1200ppm
Registered on or after 1/8/94 and an exact match can be found in the DTP data book or analyser database then CAT test to specified limits otherwise CO<=3.5% HC<=1200ppm

A

Anonymous

Im starting to get worried aswell with this as my MOT is due soon

Maybe winding down the boost would be a good idea?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Altering the boost wont affect the emissions for the test. You're never on boost at idle are you :wink: