Exhaust gas temperature gauge

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I'm about to buy some used Omori gauges from Japan, Oil pressure, Oil Temp and an EGT gauge, the plan is to replace the standard 3 gauges in the centre console. They seem to be complete with cables and pipes e.t.c.

The sensor for the EGT gauge seems to some sort of screw in type a bit like a o2 sensor . Does anybody know where the EGT sensor should be fitted.

Nad

Some say in the no1 runner, others say in the collector b4 the turbo. As its mainly for the turbo, I would place it by the collector but Im sure someone else with have another opinion.

Nad

youngsyp

Depends how accurate you want it to be. You will get the same result if you place it in any of the runners, the collector before the turbo or in the elbow after the turbo. I.e. notice a steep rise in the temp indicating lean running. But, the temperature of the exhaust gas after the turbo can be as much as 100 degrees c plus lower than the actual temperature in the cylinders, meaning the readings will be merely indicative of the actual gas temperature. The best place to install the egt sensor is in the hottest part of the exhaust, obviously. This will be in the manifold runner straight after the hottest running cylinder. Unfortunately, I don't know which one, if any, runs the hottest. So, looks like in the collector before the turbo would be best bet. :D

skiddusmarkus

I'm worried that if you put the probe in before the turbo,if it degrades and bits break off they will go through the turbine wrecking it.
If you have your car mapped with the EGT probe in the elbow and make a note of what temperature the engine is running lean/detting at then wouldn't this be just as good?The temp in elbow might be lower but it's still giving you a warning.

S

Sirnixalot

always place it 2" after the exhaust port on the leanest running cylinder.

This cylinder is usually the one farthest from the fuel pressure regulator.

The reason you do it this way is to tune so that the readings on that cylinder you will get a safe tune for all 4.

Nad

youngsyp said:
Depends how accurate you want it to be. You will get the same result if you place it in any of the runners. Unfortunately, I don't know which one, if any, runs the hottest. So, looks like in the collector before the turbo would be best bet. :D
If one runner is hotter than the other u wont get the same accurate result though. Which is hottest, No1 like I said earlier ;)

Nad

mattygti-r

mines in the manifold...ive used them guages ur buying before and didnt find them v.accurate :oops: :oops: v.hard to read off the guage and look very tinny :oops: :(

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I'm going to have to disagree with you, I've already got Omori inlet temp and boost gauge these don't look tinny at all and I can read what appears to be accurate readings absolutely fine.

Matt, I don't mean to be funny mate but if you don't have glasses, get some and if you do get new ones.

Bit of a wobbley photo but wtf is wrong with them