exhaust query

W

WRW76

i am getting a 1993 pulsar imported soon and was wondering if you have to have a catalytic converter fitted? as the pulsar isnt a standard european model(doesnt officially exist in europe but the sunny gtir does) would you need the cat for the mot.the reason im asking this is that i used to have a 1995 toyota starlet gt advance turbo which had a straight through exhaust from the turbo and it could bypass the emissions test.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
As above mate, had the 'R 2 years and passed both MOTs' with no CAT. Just take it for a good blast to clear any crap out the system and you'll be fine. :D

W

WRW76

thanks for the info guys,my car leaves japan on the 10th october.cant wait

hmmm

yeh when they try to check emissions and put that thingy in the exhaust and they enter the car's name in to their handle held computer thingy. When they try to search for Nissan Pulsar, they wont find it because it is not listed. Excuse my technical language :oops:

youngsyp

Just to clear this up, again, any car first registered, anywhere in the world, after 1st August 1992, will require a cat to pass our MOT. As long, as it has a UK equivalent. That's the most important part and, is why you should/will be able to slip through the net.
If the MOT man has too much savvy, he will put it through as a Sunny which, he is legally entitled to do. But, as most/all of us can testify, if you tell them it's a Pulsar, it will go through on the non-CAT test.
Even if you do have to put the CAT back in which, is very unlikely, it only takes 10 minutes :wink:

Mine even failed with the CAT in until he put it through as a Pulsar :oops: :lol:

Cheers

Paul