Exhaust Sparks

Dooie Pop Pop

during a bit of a high spirited drive, boosted to 7k rpm :twisted: let off and had a cloud of bright orange sparks come out of the exhaust :shock: is this bad? ie bits of my turbo or just coke build up (hopefully) had it happen once not so long ago (same situation) but only a couple of sparks :?

regards, stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd guess it'd be glowing carbon deposits coming out. Don't worry about it unless you notice any other assosciated problems.

Dooie Pop Pop

weeel :oops: remember that thread 'smoke on idle' you commented on fastguy? possible turbo prob. iv had the same thing but its only intermittent and rare. was out with matty the other day and had an embarressing little cloud :roll: only done it a few times after iv left it ticking over for a while. have got a replacement turbo sorted already i just dont want it to go terminal on me :wink:

car boosts fine btw

thanks for the comment, stu :D

turblio

Err, the last three cars I have had, that did that turned out to be small bits of the exhaust side of my pistons (I hoped it was carbon too :cry: )
not saying it is defo but keep it in mind, and the smoke is a link too
Frank

Dooie Pop Pop

:shock: fudgeing hell :cry: :cry: :cry: that i could do without :( sat with the car ticking over for at well over 15 mins today over batty matties, no oil smoke just a little steam. will a compression/leakdown test tell me if there' s a problem?

would like to add that when a say 'sparks' some looked more like embers :shock: and i swear i saw a couple bounce off the floor :shock: :shock: i dont normally give it death repeatedly ie 2nd gear to 5th full chat about 5 or 6 times. please please please pretty please let it be carbon :lol:

turblio

If the exhaust system from the turbo back has been on there for a while
and it runs rich theres a good chance it is just carbon embers (put your mind at rest a little mate :wink: )

Dooie Pop Pop

turblio said:
If the exhaust system from the turbo back has been on there for a while
and it runs rich theres a good chance it is just carbon embers (put your mind at rest a little mate :wink: )
well have 2 contributing factors to add. when i got round matts i found a jubilee clip at the plenum had slipped :shock: boost leak eeeek:roll: which i guess would make the tubby work harder to maintain boost = more heat. the car spent a fair while runnin rich when my lamba was on its way out. prey prey prey :lol: just a bother cos im having some 'bits' put on and id really rather it didn' t go bang during mapping...SO :twisted: i took it out tonight and give it LARGE! on my mates private driveway, much harder and longer than last night, thought if its gonna go id rather I broke it :twisted: cars pulling really well :p bearing in mind iv a 16row cooler and its jan.
i got the oil up to 85+degrees and kept it there for nearly a quarter of a tank. NO SPARKS! :p or embers or anything other than good solid BOOST :twisted: :D had to stop eventually cos i need the petrol to get to work in the morning :lol: the goose has done about 18-20k miles.

cheers for the help frank :wink:

MarkTurbo

If you've ever looked at the exhaust ports in the head you seem to get a lot of carbon deposits there (well i do on mine anyway :lol: ) It was probably just some of that on its way out or carbon from the exhaust. I've seen it on mine a few times before :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

MarkTurbo said:
If you've ever looked at the exhaust ports in the head you seem to get a lot of carbon deposits there (well i do on mine anyway :lol: ) It was probably just some of that on its way out or carbon from the exhaust. I've seen it on mine a few times before :wink:
cheers Mark :D i feel better already :wink:

O

Olly

that happened to me too, every time it was bits of exhaust breaking up in my Kakimoto rear box (killed 2 like that) they don't do 1.3 very well, sounded like a jet fighter on boost one time. Now got a scorpion problem solved. 8)

Dooie Pop Pop

Olly said:
that happened to me too, every time it was bits of exhaust breaking up in my Kakimoto rear box (killed 2 like that) they don't do 1.3 very well, sounded like a jet fighter on boost one time. Now got a scorpion problem solved. 8)
no problemo either now mate :twisted: my mongoose does sound really raspy on the 3" tailpipe, it sounds mad :D

stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie, did you ever have any further incidences/problems related to this?

I had a load of spark last night while cruising about 2mins after a good quick thrash. (I've nearly convinced myself the turbo is dieing :? )

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Nope. Everything seems to be OK. I went drag racing last bank holiday and made it home in one piece :thumb: