external wastgate on a std turb?

N

Norfy

is it possible to run a external wastgate on the standard turbo?

guessing you would have to weld up the original internal wastgate or summit.

just really want mine to have the chhhatttttterrr cos i cant find a compatible turbo cheap enough.

ideas?

MarkTurbo

Norfy said:
just really want mine to have the chhhatttttterrr cos i cant find a compatible turbo cheap enough.
Save yourself a lot of money and just take the dumpvalve off if you want that noise :wink:

Keira

a wastegate doesn't chatter, all you are hearing is the air passing back through the compressor..

an external wastegate does very little noise wise...unless its vented to atmosphere :shock:

then it goes..

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock:

was out with al and the evo the other night and it sounded like something out of the group b rally days 8)

like mark says, get rid of the dumpvalve or get a different one, my turbo xs is set to dump at anything over 1 bar, anything under the air just flutters away, a recirc will do it time and time again 8)

J

jiw

What i cant understand is why do people weld up the damn wastegate valve, why dont the just have a rod made to hold the gate closed :roll:

N

Norfy

have got a induction kit, and can hear a small flutter on low boost.
but i really want it to sound like a group B rally car.

surely if i remove the dump valve then the turbo will stall !?! :?
and wont it put alot of pressure on the internal gate and maybe cause damage/stress ?

so why use a external wastegate at all? whats the benefits on a tuned car?

Keira

Norfy said:
controls boost better on big turbos, gets rid of exhaust gas quicker, think how small that little hole is for an internal gate, on big fast spooling turbos the internal gate cant get rid of the gas quicker and you can get boost creep :(

i have link somewhere...

Keira

et voila :wink:

What's the difference between internal and external wastegates?
internal wastegates are comprised of a flapper door which is built in the turbine housing, usually operated pneumatically by a mechanical actuator. These flapper doors are limited in size, but work well in certain applications. Usually found in smaller turbos, internal wastegates are relatively inexpensive, simple in design, and very durable. Larger turbo can be fitted with internal wastegates, but boost control can be tricky. If you are looking to run high boost (20+ psi) all the time, then an internal gate may be fine. If you are looking to run lower boost levels, you will need an external wastegate.

External wastegates are generally mounted to the exhaust manifold or to the O2 housing, and are self contained units. External wastegates have the ability to bypass large amounts of air, and can provide steady boost control at any pressure level. A common myth is that in order to run higher boost pressures, you need a larger wastegate. This is incorrect. Larger wastegates are necessary to run low boost levels on large turbos.

N

Norfy

very interesting, thanks.

any ideas on gettin a chatter then? have a SQV and induction kit.

dont really wanna go back to a re-circ dumpy. can i just adjust the SQV?

Dooie Pop Pop

kieron said:
Norfy said:
controls boost better on big turbos, gets rid of exhaust gas quicker, think how small that little hole is for an internal gate, on big fast spooling turbos the internal gate cant get rid of the gas quicker and you can get boost creep :(

i have link somewhere...
add a 3 inch exhaust and it makes its uncontrollable :(

on a plus side i was given this http://www.d2power.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=38

any good? another option is to get the internal hole made larger and a new pennywasher fitted.

stu

P

petegtir

Dooie Pop Pop said:
another option is to get the internal hole made larger and a new pennywasher fitted.

stu
is that possible? i spose it would help a bit wouldnt it.

Dooie Pop Pop

porting works! :D managed to hold it at .8 off the actuator till 6000rpm then it crept upto about a bar tops. not bad considering it was creeping from .8 to 1.6 bar before

running over a bar there' s no creep at all 8) a couple of people on here have run a gt30 with a goose pipe and not had any problem, i assume because of the extra restriction offered by the oe elbow.

i dont know about their spoolup rate but im hitting 1.4+bar at 3500rpm :twisted:

P

petegtir

what turbo are you running and what did you do to the washer? the porting bit i get :D

by the looks of the t28 you could port it a bit without needing a new washer anyway.

Dooie Pop Pop

petegtir said:
what turbo are you running and what did you do to the washer? the porting bit i get :D

by the looks of the t28 you could port it a bit without needing a new washer anyway.
3071r :wink: i think turbodynamics swapped the p' washer for a bigger one, i dunno tbh i dont care..it works :lol: