Extra breathers for our R's.

RO_SUNNY

I have posted on other forums aswell....and thought this might come handy

I have had problems with thi sin the past...and thought to add 2 extra breathers on my rocker cover

This is how I did it!

1'st of all you need to drill out the original rivets that hold the baffle plates in place using a 7mm drill.

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

Than....you will discover how much junk that baffle plates are hiding....and all of which is going into your engine

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

After the drilling of the rivets use a heat gun to ''moisten'' the black silicone.
Than gently .,...with a flat screwdriver take out the baffle plates....if needed slighlty enlarge the holes which you previously did.
After that use a hand drill with a tool like this one to completly remove the silicone

Enlarge this image

After that you need to find a right place for your new breathers...I have choosen this spots and used a 16 mm drill to make the holes.
After drilling I have found 2 pieces of 90 deg from some old air con lines.

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

After that I have welded them in place

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

I don't have pictures ....but I will upload some tommorow (on putting back the baffle plates).
I will be using some 4mm screws......
Where the rivets were.....drill and tap to suit a 4mm screw (or whatever you like) but ensure that you don't drill too much....so that you wil perforate the other side of the rocker cover.

P.s. I will also make an catch can.....which migh be available at request:D:D:D:D:D
Enjoy

red reading

I was wondering as the baffles and foam in the rocker cover is there to stop oil splashing of the cams and being blow out of the breather, fair play for the work but pumping losses on a four cylinder engine on the bottom end are the best place to sort on the engine .....will be interesting to see this develop more as I fitted the nismo btcc breather cans on mine and that works better than anything else and I have minimal breathing issues anyway.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Similarly, I thought the baffling was there to provide a torturous route and prevent oil spray escaping into the both the PCV and the oil/mist separator. - If anything I'd put more in rather than take it out, but that's based on no in-depth knowledge; just a desire to keep oil in the engine and burn the emissions off.

Fusion Ed

You definitely don't want to leave those open. I've yet to have a problem with the stock system to be honest. I have had problems on Evo's but not SR20's

RO_SUNNY

Ok....so now for the final step.

I have used this......you can use whatever you like :))
I have drilled a 3 mm hole and than used an 4x0.7 to tap it.

Than....just screw back the baffle plates....et voila.....baffle splates back in place!

Just for your info ....on the back of the baffle plates....there's only one small and flimsy mesh type screen and that's about it.....and oh....the rocker cover without the baffle plates looks like a maze....and that's the reason why it stop the oil from comming out the breathers