Few Problems

GTI-R Nath

Im having 2 small problems with my car, and wondering if anyone could give any advice on what the think it might be.

1st problem is if the car is idling, and i gently touch the accelerator pedal, the idel will blip and drop to 700-800, but if i push pedal slightly harder it will rev fine? (this only happens when the cars cold)

2nd problem is if im driving on a motorway and am in 5th gear at the same speed for a long period, then when i drop back down to 3rd or 4th and try to floor it, the car will either take 5 to 10 second to take off, or will feel like its down on power, for a few minutes then start to drive fine again? thinking this might be a slipping clutch but not 100%

PulsarLee

Have you done a fault code check

34?

mine is the same on cold idle

but ive got code 34 and knackered idle control valve

GTI-R Nath

i pretty much do a fault check after every drive in my car, lol, and i always get 55, but the knock sensor is probably the only sensor i haven't replaced, and i have recently takent off the idle control valve and cleaned all the shit out of it aswell....

PulsarLee

Just out of interest........... if the idle control valve dosent have an electrical feed to it, what would this affect once the engine is warmed up? I thought it only adjusted the idle from cold?

Thanks,

Lee

GTI-R Nath

Sounds like TPS is not setup right.
yeah was looking at the setting throttle position sensor guide tonight, the pictures aren't there anymore, but i think i get the general idea, was also thinking about reground the MAF but i would probably get fault code if there was anything wrong with the MAF??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Not necessarily; if the MAF is still giving a valid signal, I don't think that registers as a fault. There's no harm in re-earthing it, and it's a pretty quick and easy job.
I think we're going to need to make a new photo for that how-to procedure for the TPS.

@Lee: I think you're right. If there is no power feed the solenoid doesn't open to give you the fast idle from cold, but that should make no difference to a warm engine as you don't want the fast idle.

Fusion Ed

Unplug the TPS and see how it affects operation. They default open. Simply put pretty much the only thing the TPS does is control fuel cut over run, a bit of fuel enrichment, and to let the ecu know it should expect to idle.