Finding it hard to spend money with tuners

M

minimivic

Over the last 2 weeks I have phoned and emailed various tuners, some of which advertise on this forum.
I removed the engine from the car and it needed clutch, steering bushes, suspension bushes and a full service. All parts that should be readily available. The only company to get back to me in any form was Hiteq who I promply spent £ 500+ with on helix cluch and the rest of the bits.
I now need a turbo, apart from the fact I need a little more info regarding a 3071 and if I need loads of other things to make it work properly, and the fact I think 320-350hp is enough for my needs. I had a small amount of sence from turbo technics, but other tuners and turbo companies just dont get back to me.
I find it hard to believe that I am willing to spend £600-1000 and nobody wants to take my money.

Sorry rant over.

M

minimivic

pesh90 said:
Why dont you do put your name down for the group buy on a 3071R :roll:

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42896

If your not a member than pay your £20, it will be money well spent :wink:
Posted in that thread a few times.
Not that interested in being a member, I was 8 years ago when I first bought my "R".
I dont tend to do meetings or club stands. More interested in driving where and when I want to.

Nigell_d6

Turbo dynamics in Christchurch I found very helpful and informative, and back then, did give you the time of day, but expensive, Id pay the £20 and go with the group buy if you want that particular tuby,

Just because you are a member doesnt mean you got to go to meets, nobody else does, (no offence meant), and you dont have to post, I will say though, last time I read the group buy post there was a bit of debate as to wether it was a good deal, personaly I thought it was

Regards

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A standard turbo at about 1.2bar with say a set of HKS264 cams would easily meet your power needs.
If you've taken the engine out I'd have thought you'd be able to change the clutch and save some money, even change the cams, but shimming them can be time consuming.
Steering bushes are easy with the engine out, suspension bushes can be a pain.
Why waste money that you don't need to on tuners.

(3071 is abit overkill for 320-350 but should last forever, where as the standard turbo won't last as long)

M

minimivic

Thanks fast guy and nigel,
The engine is back in with all other work done, that was all easy. I'm just in need of a turbo (my exhaust housing is cracked through the wastegate) to get it running again.
Probably just get myself a t28 with 360 bearing now and be done with it. Also saves me some cash.
The point of the thread is i find it hard to believe that people dont want my money, or maybe they get messed about so much, that they dont take people seriously anymore.

MarkTurbo

minimivic said:
I'm just in need of a turbo (my exhaust housing is cracked through the wastegate) to get it running again
If its not smoking and running ok i wouldnt worry about the crack. Thats a pretty common thing on turbos, mine ran fine with a dirty great big crack that ran all the way from the turbine wheel to the wastegate hole ;-)