First Car?

G

GtiRSmiley

Hey guys, love this site, and love the GTiR

Im just curious, im going to be turning 16-17 soon, and I wanted to know your thoughts of a GtiR as a first car.

I mean im totally inlove with the car, and Im going to own one no matter what.

And I will probably have to get it converted to the Left hand side because I'm living in Canada, but thats not an issue for me, i can get it converted pretty easily.

So yeah, please let me know what you guys think that currently own a GtiR, and what problems you've come across

Thanks

S

slammed_gtir

Your more or less garenteed to crash your first car i bounced my nova gsi off 2 walls lol, so please dont writeoff a gtir, buy one and polish it til you can drive.

A

AJ4

the absolute best advice is just take the time to read the forum, you'll soon get an idea of what common problems are.

Unfortunately, were all mostly UK based so its very unlikely you'll understand most of the humour on the site, but there is also some good info hidden amongst all the bullshit and ranting :D

If you were 16 or 17 in this country, I'd say absolutely no way should you buy a Gtir at that age, because of the way car culture is over here for teenagers.

F_uck it though, I would have loved to have bought a Gtir when I was your age, so go for it ! Just be nice to it and take it easy ;)

G

GtiRSmiley

GINGA said:
Just by a lhd one from Europe
LHD ones came factory where? France?

I just love the GtiR guys, like for the past 2-3 years i loved this car. My brothers own skylines, so their gonna hook me up with a GtiR, so yeah..cant wait

M

Mike202020

AJ4 said:
F_uck it though, I would have loved to have bought a Gtir when I was your age, so go for it ! Just be nice to it and take it easy ;)
I was going to be boring and drone on about working your way up to one........ but as AJ said, go for it!

I'd have loved one...... I'd not still be here now....but I'd still had jumped at the chance.

D

Danni

most of the world's LHD R were sold in germany (90%ish I think), the rest in other parts of europe, one was sold in Iceland and is now mine 8)
the problem with the LHD R is that since there's a lot less LHD than RHD cars they are somewhat more expensive (supply and demand)... something like twice as expensive (correct me if I'm wrong). Check mobile.de and ebay.de for german cars.

G

GtiRSmiley

Well, i can buy the RHD R's, spend around.......almost a grand, and get it converted to LHD..probably will be cheaper

Big Sve

i reckon if i would have had the r when i was 17 id have been brown bread by now but like was said above the culture is different over there. i was like a dog with two dicks when i got my first car and crashed that into a wall (a citroen ax lol) and wrote off 3 cars with my 106 gti! thought i was armour plated, learnt the hard way. but on the plus side at least i contributed to a few less french cars now on the roads :lol:

As long as youve got your head screwed on not to think (like myself and probably a lot of the lads on here) that u are schumacher as soon as ya pass ya test ull be ok. do think though it would be a bit of a handful though for a brand new driver so take it easy chief!! listen to dad here lol :thumbsup:

D

Danni

do you have any information on the conversion? just curious since I'll most likely be reshelling mine with a RHD shell soon.

MORF114

cool gti-r at 17 your a lucky bugger they aint that fast/dangerous if you drive them slow!! i had a rs turbo as my 1st car at 17 and went across a very quite country junction (100mph) and got smashed into by a 4x4 and bananad it got convicted of dangerous driving and 6 points all in my 1st 4 hours of having my lisence bloody good fun but i learnt the hard way.:oops: :oops: :oops: