Fitting an OS Giken

JU5TY

Anyone whos fitted an OS Giken

My question is about the two plates that line up in the slots around the outside… Theres enough slots for each plate to sit in separate ones so would indicate it’s the correct way to fit them?

But my machiner has marked them up as if to line them up both in the same slots, maybe because this is how the person who balanced it had them…

Which is the correct way and would I put it out of balance putting one of the plates in the separate slots?

Does that make sense? lol

Sweeny

I think i know what your on about.

When me and uncle winnet fitted mine, we got a main shaft from a simlar gearbox to the GTIR one, think it was a bluebird one, shoved it in and tightened it up. Mint. Worked first time. Could take forever with a clutch alignment tool. Hope this helps.

If all else fails, ring Hiteq, they're pretty good for advice.

James.

E

Edd

Yes the more advice the better please as i'll be fitting mine soon :shock:

Ian says it is simple :roll:

Sweeny

Simple if you have a matching main shaft, not so simple with a clutch alignment tool : On and off with the box 200 times, great for your biceps. :lol:

E

Edd

hmm let's hope my new tuner doesn't read this thread then :wink: :lol:

JU5TY

I haven't got to that stage yet as im still waiting on my gearbox.

Im talking about when you are building the clutch with the different plates.
There are two shiney plates and two cerametalic plates… The two shiney plates sit in the slots which run round the outside of the clutch housing. There is enough slots for the two plates to sit in there own separate ones, I take it this is the correct way to fit the plates?

When I got it back from my machiner/balancer, its marked out with pen to line the two plates up so they sit in the same slots. Which doesn’t seem right, why would there be enough slots for both plates to sit in separate ones…?
But if I move the plates so they sit in separate slots will I send it out of balance, if it hasn't been balanced this way?

This is very to explain…lol

Sweeny

I cant really remember which way they went, i'll ask the dude that helped me fit it, i think he took some pics of it, as he was amazed how many pieces there were to the clutch. :D

James.

Nad

Justin, have a look at mine when u come round at the weekend, its still in one piece.

Nad

JU5TY

Yeah that’s it…

The two plates im talking about are the ones on the top left and top right. You see they have notches round the outside, which fit into the slots in the clutch housing (Bottom right).

There are enough slots in the clutch housing for each of the two plates to sit in its own slot which I assume is the correct way, rather than sitting in the same slots.
I am almost sure this is correct and will check on Nads Saturday.

All im a bit worried is where ive got it back from my machiner/balancer, its marked out with pen to line the two plates up so they sit in the same slots. If I separate them so they sit in separate slots (which I believe to be the correct way) will I send it all out of balance, if its been balanced with them in the same slots.

Hmmm this is a tricky one…lol Think its best I ring my machiner.

JU5TY

Really? Kool I may well do that then, I could then line it up the way my machiner/balancer had it. :D
Maybe it doesn’t matter, just seems strange there is enough slots for both plates to sit in there own ones. :?

Sweeny

Re: re

johnwillett992 said:
when i did james' i put them in the same slot dont no if this was right or not :shock: but it works ok

john
Its is right mate, coz thats how it came apart remember.

James.

JU5TY

ex-gtir said:
edd i have a spare gearbox input shaft that you can use for aligning mate
Any chance I can borrow that just for a day when I come to fit my gearbox if I cant get hold of one? :oops: