fitting brakes.......(help)

A

Anonymous

Ok, I've just got new rear disc's and pad's and front pads (thanks Pete) and now need to fit them, how easy is this job to do? Can anyone give me a step by step guide or should I take them to a garage? I don't mind having a go myself, don't have much exp but would like to try.

Cheers guy's.

O

Odin

It's a very easy job mate.

On the front there's two bolts that hold the top half of the caliper(sp)
on just undo the bottom one and swing it up out of the way and your
be able to take the pads out, then just push the pistons back in with
a big pair of stilsons(sp) refit the new pads,it takes longer to take the wheels off than change the pads :wink: .

as for the rears do the same but this time you will need to take the hole
caliper off, it's two 17mm bolts undo take it off change the disc and refit
it's easy mate :) .

if you take the lid of the brake master cylinder the pistons will go back a bit easyer but make sure you put some rag around it just incase it over
flow's when you push the pistons back.

if you get stuck give me a call and i'll talk you through it mate.

rob

J

J-GTi-R

The front calipers are push in, the rears are screw in (feck knows why they are different). Just makes the rears a bit harder if you haven't got one of those special brakes screw-in tool thingies.

O

Odin

I just use a big screw driver to wind them in or the stilsons but be gental
and make sure you don't damage the rubber dust seal on the piston's :wink: . And make sure you don't mark any of the piston :!:
ether

rob

J

J-GTi-R

I used a pair of long-nosed pliers. Buggered up the dust seals and made loads of scratches and marks on the piston. Luckily it was on a mate's car and he didn't mind it was such a butcher's job...

geetee

Use a G-clamp myself.

Put one of the old pads in front of the piston and one on the back of the caliper where the other part of the clamp hits.

The just wind it up slowly. This keeps the piston square and spreads the load from the clamp on the back of the caliper.

I've not done the rears on the 'R yet as someone has fitted EBC Blue Stuff which are endurance pads and don't seem to wear at all :shock: Then again they probably don't provide any stopping power either :?

So I don't know about the screwing in pistons bit....

Cheers
GeeTee
8)

A

Anonymous

Cheers, I might as well give it a go myself, its only the brakes - nothing 2 important! :D Vpulsar - expect a call from me in the next week or so (prob as I'm doing them) Also, what brake fluid should i use???

O

Odin

seven xl said:
Cheers, I might as well give it a go myself, its only the brakes - nothing 2 important! :D Vpulsar - expect a call from me in the next week or so (prob as I'm doing them) Also, what brake fluid should i use???

I use mintex raceing fluid :wink:

rob

J

jasegould

You'll want to clean up the surfaces and apply some copper grease to stop them from siezing and squeaking.