flickering dash

ntgt

finally got my gti-r running after replacing gaskets and oil lines. took her for a little drive and the dash lights were flickering (could be whats causing the hesitation/stutter) maybe a earth problem???, also the front of the engine seems to get real hot after a little drive up the road and back, there was steam/smoke coming from what looks like under the turbo area, and all the radiator hose, the heatsheild over the manifold and the little black breather box thing at the front were really hot.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seeing as the alternator is right at the front; were the lights flickering after everything got really hot? - I'd start by getting that checked-out; if it's not putting the right voltage out that will definitely upset running.

Is it a lot of steam/smoke? I'm just wondering if that's just burning-off stuff that was spilt when you changed hoses and gaskets, or whether that's indicating a bigger problem.

vpulsar

Maybe the turbo water line is leaking and you could have an airlock in the coolant system, Try bleeding the system and checking the thermostat works OK. As for the flickering could be a dodgy earth you'll just have to do all the normal checks on the electrical system.

Are you losing coolant ?.

Rob

ntgt

i have a new nissan thermostat in it so it should be fine. i will try bleeding the system again tomorow, i dont think there are any leaks because when i first started it i idled it for awhile and didnt get any drips. the smoking only came after actually driving the car maybe 1km. when i sloly try and rev it up in neutral when i first started it up, it wouldnt go over 0psi and stutters a bit. maybe there is a vacuum leak? can anyone link me to a vacuum line diagram?

johnny gtir

Smoke off manifold area etc suprising after working on the car off dripping fluid oily hand marks even new gaskets smell hot first few runs ?

ntgt

yeah im thinking maybe the steam/smoke could be something else but i think its got something to do with why its getting so hot. when the weather clears up a bit il run her for a little but and rebleed her etc see how she goes