Front Brakes/wheel bearings/Hubs, need a manual pls

A

Anonymous

Heya, Having a bit of trouble as not exactly that mechanically minded but have attempted to change my brakes etc, funny feel wheel bearings are going to..In lil old NZ here...Have been looking thru the manuals for servicing etc here but nothing about brakes apart from a couple of upgrade forums....If someone could help me out that would be great, cheers, Odg

Keira

Remove wheel

if you've got to do the bearing the hub needs to come off :( it will be easier if you undo the centre nut of the axle with the brakes still on as you can get someone to hold the brakes whilst you undo it, this should prevent the axle from turning :wink:

remove wheel :wink:

brake lines are 14mm union bolt i think, cant really remember you dont need to touch these unless your changing lines and or calipers .... standard caliper is held on with 2 x 17mm bolts iirc, whip those off and pull the caliper off, the disk should be ready to come free, it might be stuck firm so either use 2 bolts (not sure of the) size and wind them into the threaded holes in centre of disc to push against the hub, do each one abit at a time, or use my technique and get a big hammer :wink: give them a whack and they're off.

If your going bigger discs the stone gaurd will catch, either cut it off or when you do the bearing take it off.

to get the hubs off...lock up the driveshafts, pull split pin from axle, take off the cover that stops the nut coming loose, theres one big bolt cant remember the size for sure, undo that, might be very tight :( you will then need to split the 2 ball joints and undo the 2 bolts on the bottom of the strut and it should come off :wink: The old bearing you can hammer out but the new one will need pressing in as you dont want to damage it.

probably forgotten something but thats the basics of it all :wink:

MarkTurbo

Thats a job i'll have to do soon :(

I knew my front wheel bearings were knackered but when i took my front calipers off to try out my big brakes the other day they both fell apart :shock:

Without the driveshafts in the only thing holding the bearing together was the disc against the caliper :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keira

MarkTurbo said:
I knew my front wheel bearings were knackered but when i took my front calipers off to try out my big brakes the other day they both fell apart :shock:
:shock: :shock: nob :lol:

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that kieron . I'm starting to get a better picture of what I'm doing, although as I said above I ain't that mechanically minded, would you happen to have a pic or 2 of the brakes, hubs bearings etc just so I know what bolts to undo etc...Pls don't laugh gotta teach myself and learn from the start :roll: . Everythings closed over here for the next few days, grrrrrr. I'm wanting to do everything, new pads, disc's machined, hubs, bearings etc....Happen to have any pics to go with it?