Front callipers on rear

faz

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it was worth doing?

Looking at putting 4pots on the front so wondered if it was worthwhile putting the standard front callipers on the rear?

G

GTI-R Kid

Don't think its possible as a straight swap as there's no provision on the front calipers for the handbrake to operate them.

I've seen pictures of Skylines and 200SX's that have swapped the front to the rear when fitting huge front stoppers, and they all had a small extra caliper on the rear so that they still had the mechanical handbrake operation. Dunno how expensive or readily available the parts would be for such a conversion.

MarkTurbo

You'd have to use the standard front discs because the solid rear discs are too thin, then you'd need a bracket made up to fit the calipers. And then you'll find that you dont have a handbrake anymore so you'll need a separate handbrake caliper and more brackets to fit them :lol:

The rear brakes dont do that much anyway so it would be a lot of hassle ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
And the first time you brake you'd probably lock the rears, spin off the road and write the car off.:doh:

MarkTurbo

Fast Guy said:
And the first time you brake you'd probably lock the rears, spin off the road and write the car off.:doh:
Especially with 4 pots on the front! People think that because they've got big brakes on the front its ok to put them on the rear too but in effect its just making things worse! Because of the increased braking force upfront the rear of the car goes lighter under heavy braking and because you've put bigger brakes on the back they'll now lock up even easier ;-)

You'd need an adjustable bias valve set up on a car with uprated front and rear brakes in my opinion ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The fronts do about 80% of the braking, so you don't need to go silly on the rears. You could also fail the mot as the fronts have to lock at a certain % before the rears. and if the rears are as good as the fronts you'd never pass that test.

faz

Thanks for all the replies.

I think i'll ignore that idea then.

Just wondered if it was possible and if it had been done on here.

Cheers.

stumo

For MOT purposes, if you can lock three wheels and the forth wheel is in balance (within30%) with the one on the same axle then you will pass. If less than three wheels lock then the efficiency of all four brakes should be above 50%.

If you can lock both wheels with the handbrake then that is a pass. If not the combined effort of the handbraked wheels should be better than 16% of the weight of the car (25% if only single circuit brakes)

Last edited: