Funny noise

A

Anonymous

I've noticed on my car and even more so recently there is a noise almost paralell with my dump valve, I have an hks ssqv but even with it removed the sound is still there .

Its a fluttering lower pitch sound just like a dump valve thats activated when I release the accelerator .

When I release the accelerator quickly it makes an awfull sound, like someone scratching 2 rocks together and then it faids out with the usual flutter .

I dont have a 2nd dump valve, its a standard turbo, the sound dosnt cause any performance problems afaik, I do have a front mount but the sound was there previous also, its just had a rebuild so I wouldnt have thought there are any air leaks .

Its not really a problem but its annoying not knowing where its coming from .

Any help would be great, cheers

Keira

The fluttering is air passing back through the blades on the turbo.

Wheres your ssqv fitted ? is it fitted on the pipe that comes up from under the plenum ? IF its on a flange on your intercooler pipe you may still have the standard one fitted.

The two rocks being rubbed together noise i havn't got the faintest idea what you're on about :)

A

Anonymous

The ssqv is fitted in the original valve position on that pipe from the plenum, are those suppose to flutter also ?

Also the scraping rocks sound is hard to explain but its the same sound as the fluttering I get, just not fluttering, starts off a solid sound for a second or so after I've let off the accelerator then as it faids out it flutters .

A

Anonymous

I would suggest that you check your engine mounts, as the sound sounds like the engine and gearbox rocking when decelerating.

Gino

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Was the noise there before you had the rebuild?
The fluttering noise could be wastegate chatter.

A

Anonymous

Yeh it was there before the rebuild .

I wouldnt have thought it was engine mounts or anything as it gets louder with more boost .

Whats wastegate chatter ?

Shaun

Fast Guy said:
Was the noise there before you had the rebuild?
The fluttering noise could be wastegate chatter.
:D I would tend to agree with Fastguy,sounds like the wastegate :!:

A

Anonymous

If I took a gues and agreed with you there, is this a problem that I need to get looked at ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Wastegate chatter is normal, you hear it more if you have an induction kit fitted. The standard airbox tends to cover the noise.

A

Anonymous

Ah, I have an hks air filter and a hi-teq cold air induction kit (sounds great btw 8) )

Thats probably why I've noticed it much more lately .

Thanks alot for the help guys :)