furry wheels?

Dooie Pop Pop

whats the best method for getting the furr off from alloy wheels before a respray and polish? is it just sandpaper then polish?

J

jasegould

Sand/shot blast, or use a wire wheel on a grinder aswell. Once they have gone furry you wont be able to polish them back up, well not without being able to see where they were furry, they'll either need to be recut (?) or just painted as normal

J

jasegould

Were they painted or polished originally?? If they were polished once they have started to corrode (gone furry :p ) then theres not much you can do without a proper refurb, if they were painted just wire wheel are the furry shite off the use some filer then paint them...make sure you use alloy filler

Dooie Pop Pop

painted centre' s and spokes with polished outer rims, got quoted circa £90 each for a refurb :shock: paid £40 for the set :D where can i get that alloy filler from? i dont think my local 'autocare' store stocks it :roll:

where ever the paint was solid was the only places without fur

J

jasegould

Alloy filler isnt special, its just that the usual type isnt really for alloy/galvanised metal. If you can get it (most decent places should stock it) get PP100 stopper, comes in a white and yellow tin. Its really for going over the top of filler to remove imperfections, but will be ideal for what you want, plus it dries very hard so wont "pull" out when you sand it.

T

Toady

alrite mate, i showed you the pic of the 1st set i did didnt i? were in the same condition as the ones i sold u, i put them on a refurb machine we have at work. :wink: the wheel is bolted to it and then span at about 60rpm, then i used a soft gringind wheel that rotates the opp way to cut the alloy back, altho 180grit wet/dry should do it too, i then used different w&d paper to finely rub it down finnishing with 2000grit. then used a buffer with polish to cut the dull but smooth metal back to a mirror finnish! :D ill try and get some pics up for you to see the end result. i sprayed my centres charcoal black and imo they look wicked! just need some tyres on them now! :wink:
i can understand why its not cheap to have them refurbed tho after spending a good 3-4 hrs on each wheel! :p

Dooie Pop Pop

8) cheers toady :wink: am doing mine in satin black but iv painted the inner rim too, fed up with cleaning round the calipers :roll: only half done one so far :oops:

T

Toady

theyre gonna look good mate in that colour! :wink: they're a bi*ch to get the bolts off arent they! :lol:

Dooie Pop Pop

on the 7th day he invented ratchet spanners 8) does take forever though, aint decided wether just to do the spokes or the inner rim where the nuts are as well so i thought id try one out and see. gonna polish up the rim then lacquer the whole lot, maskings a pain in the ass though and ive got to rub off a few dried on bugs first :x :lol: