Gear selection problem

Ads gtir

Hi, after fitting a second hand gearbox I have to force it into and out of gears, more so in 3rd and forth, what's likely to be the cause as there is no crunching going into gear or whinning from the gearbox , thanks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm no expert, but damaged selectors would be my guess; I'm assuming it's got enough of the right grade of oil in it?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Wikipedia says...
GL-5 is not necessarily backward-compatible in synchro-mesh transmissions which are designed for a GL-4 oil: GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction due to the higher concentration of EP additives over GL-4, and thus synchros can not engage as effectively. Also, transmissions which explicitly call for GL-4 oil may have been designed around this lower concentration of EP additives and thus may contain yellow metal parts which GL-5 will corrode.
I don't know if that has any relevance though... it would cause the gears to crunch when you select them, but they should still select.

red reading

As said on the phone...are you sure the clutch is not dragging...going in to gear stiff can be syncro...coming out of gear is not syncro...could also be a gearbox that has been run out of oil before and gears are partially seized on the shafts.

Ads gtir

As said on the phone...are you sure the clutch is not dragging...going in to gear stiff can be syncro...coming out of gear is not syncro...could also be a gearbox that has been run out of oil before and gears are partially seized on the shafts.[/

already checked that thanks, no sign of clutch drag and can select reverse straight from first with car running , as said 5th and reverse are no problem even 1st and 2nd are not too bad but 3rd and 4th are an absolute nightmare. Thanks