gearbox bearings

MORF114

hi guys n gals:-o
going to look at a gtir sat morn, phoned the bloke up and he says that the gearbo bearings have gone but it can still drive ok!! is this a expensive job to fix am going to look at it sat morn hes taken quite a bit of money off the price he was gonna sell it to me for, any help would be gud its running 350hp at 10psi with dyno and reciepts and stuff.
so please any quick help would be gud so i dont buy a expensive repair job:doh: cheers

antgtir

Think Mr GTiR paid around the £350 ish mark (i think) to have his gearbox bearings replaced etc but thats not removing or fitting the gearbox back to the car.

Gearbox isn't too much of an issue as long as you can sort most of it yourself, if not could be expensive. Take someone with you who knows alot about the common faults with the R so you can spot any other bits on the way out, sounds like the R has been driven hard, be wary but dont say no as if the uprated parts on the R at the mo for it to reach 350bhp are decent it could save you a wedge if that was the route you where gonna take anyway with a standard R.

Good luck,

Ant.;-)

MORF114

cheers aint too much of a problem getting them done cos my nxt door neighbour is a gbox man so just as long as the bits dont cost both arms and legs.
The car im going to see is the camo car in the gallery gonna rip that shite off if i buy but the engine is all uprated everything the guy has spent all his money on it and is now broke !!!!!

Mr GTiR

antgtir said:
Think Mr GTiR paid around the £350 ish mark (i think) to have his gearbox bearings replaced etc but thats not removing or fitting the gearbox back to the car.
Nope, not had any bearings replaced in mine as they were all fine.

However i did pay £600 for the box to be rebuilt as it need both selector folks and all the bork rings were replaced.

I got charged 4 hours labour but it was the cost of parts that bumped it up.

From what i remember the main input bearing is about £200 and you also have smaller bearing on the shafts. The bearings are the most expensive part of the box.

I would be looking at least £800 off the car if the box is gone and needs repairing.

MORF114

in nz dollars the guy wanted 12000 but is now offering for 8500 so might be more wrong with it so just gonna have a look first b4 i walk away guy is only young dont have to have car insurance over here and the country is full of imports so full that you aint allowed to import anything built before 1996.

MORF114

Mr GTiR said:
From what i remember the main input bearing is about £200 and you also have smaller bearing on the shafts. The bearings are the most expensive part of the box.
were the parts from nissan?

antgtir

Mr GTiR said:
Nope, not had any bearings replaced in mine as they were all fine.

However i did pay £600 for the box to be rebuilt as it need both selector folks and all the bork rings were replaced.

I got charged 4 hours labour but it was the cost of parts that bumped it up.

I would be looking at least £800 off the car if the box is gone and needs repairing.
Didnt realise that the input shaft bearing was quite so much money:shock:

I wasn't far off lol only £250 off :oops: :lol:

Ant.