Gearbox best one to run 340+bhp

M

Mr Gti_R

What would anyone recomend as what to do to the box to make it stronger, need it to take some abuse. been thinking about Quaife and this will cost me in excess of 2500 fully fitted with new synchros.

I am currently running 340@1.4bar on 17" wheels and a 3 paddle clutch

I am changing the wheels to 15" light weight rally items and fitting a 4 paddle AP racing clutch and lightened flywheel :?

Will these mods make it last any longer or should i see the bank manager and get a quaife box. :)

Its killing me not driving it 2 boxes broken in three days (1 complete recon) :jaw:

What am i doing wrong :car:

Please HELP!
Rob

A

AJ4

try pressing the pedal on the left before you move the stick thing in the middle ;) lol.

who's doing the rebuilds on the gearbox ? 2 in three days sounds a bit much, at 340 bhp. Plenty of people run around 1.4 bar and can still launch day in, day out on a standard box... Maybe you've just been really really unlucky :(

Can't advise much on an uprated box, not really my thing, but theirs plently of people on here who should be able to point you in the right direction.

O

Odin

I'd change the clutch for a 6 paddle at the very least, That will be a lot kinder on your box for a start, And you'd be doing well to get a quaife in for £2500 its more like £3200 with everything replaced.

I've had a quaife in my car for about 4 years now, First with a 9 paddle nismo clutch and now a spec 6 paddle jobbie, I had to get the box rebuilt last year after 36k of hard use which cost me £670 all in including the transfer box as well.

I had an uprated 3/4th selector fitted at the same time.

Rob

MarkTurbo

You might just have been unlucky, i've broken 2 boxes running standard boost but since going to 1.2 bar the latest one has been ok :?

The paddle clutch wont help matters, i'd go for an organic clutch at that sort of power. Either a Helix or AP racing ;-)