GEARBOX is this a good price

GTIR1000

three weeks ago i took my gearbox to a firm which were recommended by alot of garages near me and from garages else where. they took my box out had a look and told me i needed alot of new parts inside the box, but the parts they were after they couldnt get hold of and will have to import them from japan. they reckoned alot of the pieces they needed were the same as in a nissan blue bird gearbox i think thats what they said and they they had tried alot of companies for the parts and couldnt get hold of any of the bits. all the main bits like the input shaft and things were ok it was the smaller pieces theyu were after.they also told me they did not have to drop the engine to get the box out when i thought this was the quickest and easiest way. All in all they reckon it will cost me around one thousand pounds at the end is this a resonable price and are the things they have told me right or am i being led up the garden path they quoted two to six weeks for it to be ready depending on when the parts arrive.

A

Anonymous

GTIR1000 said:
three weeks ago i took my gearbox to a firm which were recommended by alot of garages near me and from garages else where. they took my box out had a look and told me i needed alot of new parts inside the box, but the parts they were after they couldnt get hold of and will have to import them from japan. they reckoned alot of the pieces they needed were the same as in a nissan blue bird gearbox i think thats what they said and they they had tried alot of companies for the parts and couldnt get hold of any of the bits. all the main bits like the input shaft and things were ok it was the smaller pieces theyu were after.they also told me they did not have to drop the engine to get the box out when i thought this was the quickest and easiest way. All in all they reckon it will cost me around one thousand pounds at the end is this a resonable price and are the things they have told me right or am i being led up the garden path they quoted two to six weeks for it to be ready depending on when the parts arrive.
whether it's a decent price depends on exactly what is required to rebuild the box.i must have destroyed my gearbox at least a dozen times over the last 9 years but,i don't think i've ever had to wait on anything coming from japan :shock:

if you are getting "oh it's a pulsar and all the parts have to come from japan b%llox" tell them to phone bernie braden at cts on 01582840008 and he'll order up all your bits against my chassis number which is from a sunny :wink:

O

Odin

GTIR1000 said:
Well burnie rebuilt my quaiffe box and my trans box for £760 back to my door, But that didn't include takeing it out or refitting so a grand isn't to bad if they'ev done everything they say they have :wink: .

Like the old fella said you shouldn't have to wait for parts from japan :? .

rob

B

Brett G

Gary from gti-r spares will exchange your box for a recon one for about £550 I think? You could check his section out and give him a call. He can arrange fitting too for a couple of hundred i think :?:

GTIR1000

cheers for the help guys i rang them today and thye have all the parts apparently japan would have been there last resort so car should be back on road next week thank god

geetee

:roll: yeehaaa - ride them cowboy

edited to say:
That's a comment about them mysteriously not having to import the bits from Japan. Not about their professionalism, workmanship or experience.

This is all of course without prejudice to the forum as a whole and any views represented are solely the responsiblity of this individual member.

Ta
GeeTee 8)

daz

end of the day a brand new box is only 1100 plus vat from nissan so i think they got ya pants down lol