Gearbox Oil leak

A

Anonymous

New to the pleasures of the GTi-R and fixing them!!!!

My car has an annoying leak from the nearside of the gearbox, where an electrical cable enters the box. It appears to be a sensor (oil temp???) that is a bit bigger than a 50p piece and held in with a 10mm bolt.

What is this??? Do I have to drain the oil b4 removing it??? Is this common on R's (couldn't see a thread on this problem)????

If anyone can help ........ :(

A

ard1ey

Sounds like the reverse light switch, the 'R doesn't have anything as cool as gearbox temp sensor. Pretty sure you have to drain the oil or you'll get spillage :) but hopefully its just an o-ring or gasket you can replace.

A

Anonymous

reverse light a bit dodgy too, so you are probably right!!!

Thanks

Shaun

:wink: Just make sure the leak is not from anywhere higher,as i thought that mine was leaking from the join of the 2 halves of the box,as someone had run sealer along the join :shock: Turns out it was the driveshaft seal :D

O

one Gti-R

If your going to drain the gearbox oil be careful.

Gearbox oil stinks try not to get it all over your hands and tools as they will stink for ages.

geetee

Yeah... mine is weeping from there too..... it's on the list of things to do but I never get round to it as more major things keep breaking.

Drop the gearbox oil and put something decent in whilst you're at it.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

Anonymous

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be getting oily this week end........ :(