gearbox removal quicky!

turbodaily

when removing the gearbox do you leave the transfer box attached to the engine or doe sthis have to come off with it???? thanks

C

crackerjack

everytime I have dropped the gearbox on a gtir I have left the transfer on... imho it makes it so much easier.

turbodaily

how do you get to that gearbox bolt that sits next to the starter motor? i can get to every other bolt but that 1!!!!!

C

crackerjack

to get to that bolt you need to remove the starter motor and the speedo driver... and do yourself a favour.. dont put that bolt back in when you put everything back together that way you only have to remove the starter motor and not dig in to get the speedo driver out.. HEAPS easier that way.

turbodaily

my mates just said il need to loosen the bracket on the back of the block that makes everything awkward to get to. which should allow me to pull the starter motor out and make it possible to undoe the bolt thats underneath it

turbodaily

crackerjack said:
to get to that bolt you need to remove the starter motor and the speedo driver... and do yourself a favour.. dont put that bolt back in when you put everything back together that way you only have to remove the starter motor and not dig in to get the speedo driver out.. HEAPS easier that way.
yeah ive got the starter motor loose, just need to get it out lol

C

crackerjack

ex-gtir said:
yes thats clever leave the only bolt on back of engine out good move lol:thumbsup: :der:
what a winner :roll: its not the only bolt on the back of the engine, have you considered the ones each side of the starter motor.... if you want to drop the engine every single time just to drop the gearbox then go right ahead.... I have actually checked on this and there is no stress created on the box or engine.. i mean if it were an 800 hp drag beast or something sure every bolt would matter.. but with these glass box's the side of the box blows before you ever crack the housing away from the engine side.

go deposit your 2cents in the bank and maybe you will be able to buy a clue later in life