gearbox

GTIR1000

last night i was reversing at my mates house and i stalled the car by aciddent. the car jolted foward now the gearbox is stuck in third gear. the gear stick is stuck in neutral postion but the car is in third gear you can move of but only at high revs what has happened.

A

Anonymous

GTIR1000 said:
last night i was reversing at my mates house and i stalled the car by aciddent. the car jolted foward now the gearbox is stuck in third gear. the gear stick is stuck in neutral postion but the car is in third gear you can move of but only at high revs what has happened.
you`ve busted the selector :oops:

box out for repair i`m afraid.you can buy uprated selectors from par but,as i`ve found out in the past,when you uprated something,you tend to find weaknesses elsewhere :(

MarkTurbo

Definatly a broken selector fork :wink: Thats what happened to my first gearbox. But 4th gear was where 3rd used to be :? :lol:

Its wierd how you managed to break it by jolting it from stalling the car though :(

GTIR1000

cheers for the help i have also been told if it si not the selector fork it could be something called the circlip if i have spelt this right. it is on the main shaft or something going into the gearbox i didnt quite understand what the mechanic was telling me but i got the jist of it just. he said something about it coming out of its groove.

G

GartracS2

The selector forks inside the box have 3 square metal collets that wear prevent ing gearchange, also the detent spring might be broken, my moneys on the collets.

G

GAZ P

It might well be just the selector lever, I think your mechanic mate could be right.At the back of the g/box there is a rod from the gear lever to the gearbox selector output shaft.This rod is splined and held in place with a pinch bolt.If the pinchbolt was loose the jolt of stalling could have caused the splines to become missaligned hence no gears.
My mate got his R back from havin a clutch fitted and some times the car stayed in gear with the gearlever in neutral.Got it into my workshop and took the selector rod off moved it round a spline problem sorted.
Hope this is your problem and not a broken selector in the box.

GTIR1000

cheers for the help people think i am taking the gearbox out anyway as this has happened to the previous owner so must be something wrong for it to happen twice i have posted another thread above