GT28R Turbo

S

Stoned

Evening all

My housemate has a rover couple turbo with a GT28R turbo on it. It's only done a few thousand miles and he's decided to sell it on so we are looking at the possibility of swapping ours over so I get the GT28R and he sticks the T28 on the Rover.

So I remember reading about the GT28RS and quite a few ppl fitting it, but what about the GT28R. I know it's not as good but it should be better than a T28 and i'm only looking for usual 1bar power levels.

Is there anything I should know or are we looking at a straight swap?

Cheers

J

jiw

rite, here we go lol

Oil drain pipe holes will need elongating

Compressor housing will need spinning as well as the core to align to the pulsar setup

One of the holes in your turbo elbow will need elongating

Also the orientation of the 3 bolt flange (comp outlet) is different by 60 degrees

The two bolt flange (comp inlet) the rear bolt on this will catch the block if your not careful, i had to fit this with the turbo off using a bolt without a washer and the head of it had to be ground away to clear the bell housing part of the block

Actuator is a bit fiddly too, i had to bend the original bracket and also bend the rod to make it all fit properly
Heres some pics:

Also Rishi had a look at the comp map for me and said at 1 bar the car will produce 301bhp@1 bar, peak efficiency will be 315bhp@1.2 bar, im sure he said i may need a set of cams to gain full potential at these settings, jeff :wink:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
As Jeff said i looked at the comp maps a while back...

Peak efficiency is 315bhp @ 1.2bar... providing your cooling etc is upto scratch you may see a little more a higher boost levels but if you are going to run higher boost levels then get a turbo that will make the most of it... :wink:

The GT28R is just a Roller Bearing version of the T28... Basically it will give you a quicker spool and thats about it... No real power increase...

Rishi

S

Stoned

Cheers lads. My turbo is getting old so I reckon it will be worth the swap anyhow

J

jiw

Yeah as rishi says, go for something bigger if you can, i only ended up with the gt28r as i was in desperate need of my car as i was moving house, called ATP and asked what turbo's they sell will bolt straight up to the gti-r and they told me this does, obviously not the case, what annoyed me even more was at the time i had the funds to buy a couple of stages better, even the gt28rs would of been easier to fit, i suppose we live and learn on that one, will have to sell the turbo on in the future and get something a bit bigger :D

M

Mr Overboooost

ive got a GT28R but the one you have looks nothing like mine :?
then again i did get mine from a uk supplier so i guess there idea of a 28r is completely different to here in the uk

cheers
gary

J

jiw

Yeah gary i think they are different, is it more towards the gt28rs kinda size? bet it was pricey :cry:

turblio

I have a GT28RS in my hands at the moment :p with .86ar
and when I have finished pi$$ing about filing and repositioning the actuator
and moving the comp housing it WILL go on!
Frank

J

jiw

yeah it wouldnt fit the gt28r :cry: all done with a bit of bending with the hammer over the kerb style bodge, hate being in a rush, aint fell off yet though :D should get it on the rollers eventually to see if it does any better than the T28

turblio

GINGA said:
turblio said:
I have a GT28RS in my hands at the moment :p with .86ar
and when I have finished pi$$ing about filing and repositioning the actuator
and moving the comp housing it WILL go on!
Frank
atp turbo do a very nice alloy actuator bracket kit that should allow you to bolt it straight on 8)
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...D&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-011&Category_Code=VSR2
Wish I had seen that before how goes it ginga? I have got to grind about 8mm out the block to get it to clear the inlet shroud bit worrying :(
still its a good project :lol:
Frank