Gti-r V Ek9

J

jap_dan

Ok guys, in standard trim which would be faster on,

1/4 mile run

motorway high speed run

b-road blasts

Nissan GTI-R or Honda Civic Type-R ek9 (both jap spec) 8)

huu-raa

having had both GTiR hand down over all aspecs
i lean towards the ek9 being a little more reliable but if you get a GTiR thats looked after then theres no issue

huu-raa

lol
love my hondas but i just sold my JDM integra type R to get my second GTiR so that tells you something lol

J

jap_dan

huu-raa said:
lol
love my hondas but i just sold my JDM integra type R to get my second GTiR so that tells you something lol
the integra's aint a slow car either, thats a good thing to know atleast, do you prefer the handling of the nissan, i know they are different wheel drive but the honda's are suppose to be very sharp, which do you prefere handling wise?

huu-raa

the DC2 integra type R got voted best handling FWD car 4 years in a row i think so they handle very welli would say it would be very close between a stock pulsar (226bhp) and the JDM spec ITR (200bhp) on a twisty track but the GTiR will allways have a little more grunt.

youngsyp

The EK9 Type R's are massively overrated. Sure they have 185 bhp but, they also have **** all torque and you'd really struggle to achieve the manufacturers acceleration times...

The GTiR, even in stock form, would walk all over it !

Paul

davey red.r

impressive stuff that link saddler,
theres nothing much quicker than a tuned r 0/60.
apart from porsches,but there mega money,
just shows, throw a chunk of money at the r, and set it up correctly,
and you have your own personal cruise missile.
that not much can toutch,i had a play with a porsch last night coming over the tyne bridge he couldnt shake me,
and thats at 1mars bar 310bhp,
cant wait for the 400mark.
anyone gone from 300 to 400?
and what was the new experience like?
very good id imagine.

davey;-)

djdoc360

huu-raa said:
the DC2 integra type R got voted best handling FWD car 4 years in a row i think so they handle very welli would say it would be very close between a stock pulsar (226bhp) and the JDM spec ITR (200bhp) on a twisty track but the GTiR will allways have a little more grunt.
I raced both the CTR and the ITR on the twisty japanese road(touge). My pulsar got out handle in the begining. Did some upgrades like suspension, tires, and brakes; and i was able to keep up. In the straits the GTI-R stock had the upper hand.

I have had the Pulsar GTI-R (well 2 one was 325bhp the second 400bhp) both proven and genunie figures and cars.

I have also had recently an Integra Type R 1996 JDM Import which was rolling roaded ni stock from at 201.9bhp.

BHP means nothing, its how a car can deliver and use the power and if it can maintain full use of the power all the time - I have driven many EK9's and am currently considering either a Race Base EK9 or an NSX (depends if the car will be needed for road use or not).

IMO on track the EK9 would be on par if not have the slight edge on a stock pulsar gti-r - If the pulsar was running 1bar with an fmic then it would have the upper hand, however on the twisties the pulsar has a lot more understeer and body role than both the EK9 and the DC2 and would be behind. Both the DC2 and the EK9 are very well balanced cars and can br driven on the limit all the time - I know for a fact my DC2 was better, quicker and a lot more fun on track and on the twisties than both Pulsars and even my R33 V-Spec GTR and Evo 6 GSR.

Honda have made some seriously amazing N/A 1.6 and 1.8 engined cars with the DC2 and the EK9 and I dont doubt for a min the EK9 would have the upped hand on the Pulsar in stock form.

If the Pulsar was running around 280bhp ish then it would be on par with a stock DC2 if it was in good condition.

The DC2 is amazing and is still classed as the best handling FWD car EVER and if driven well by someone and kept in vtec its a pretty monsterous car as with the EK9 (except due to the lack or torque produced by the EK9's B16 engine it has to be driven that much harder and I fonud that with both the EK9 and the DC2 unless you can heel and toe perfectly you risk loosing your speed which is veyr hard to re-gain), so I had to master heel and toe before I could see the true capabilites of the cars.

A lot of anything mentioned within this post and the orignial comments and info req's are also dependant on the driver, the drivers ability and also the car and its condition and engine/suspensino health.

Always remember one thing, Handling is not grip and BHP means nothing in the real world, its power to weight and being able to maximise the sue of the power you have at all times.

djdoc360 said:
I raced both the CTR and the ITR on the twisty japanese road(touge). My pulsar got out handle in the begining. Did some upgrades like suspension, tires, and brakes; and i was able to keep up. In the straits the GTI-R stock had the upper hand.
Also remember the CTR (if you mean the EP3) is not classed as a real type R - it lacks the power, performance and handling of the real Type R series.

The only real type r or what are classed as the only real type r's are the

EK9
DC2
DC5
NSX-R NA1
NSX-R NA2

I have driven all and the EP3 sucks as do all of the UK market Civic type r's, they are nothing like the Japanese market Type R series cars.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Interesting reviews of the honda's here. The EK9 has interested me on and off but I guess there is no replacement for displacement!

@Carl, in your opinion what is the difference between the JDM and UKM EP3, I know they have an LSD and are mapped for higher octane fuel but anything else?.

djdoc360

Carl Hammond said:
Also remember the CTR (if you mean the EP3) is not classed as a real type R - it lacks the power, performance and handling of the real Type R series.

The only real type r or what are classed as the only real type r's are the

EK9
DC2
DC5
NSX-R NA1
NSX-R NA2

I have driven all and the EP3 sucks as do all of the UK market Civic type r's, they are nothing like the Japanese market Type R series cars.[/quote
EP3 is the 2000 CTR right?

Last edited:
campbellju said:
Interesting reviews of the honda's here. The EK9 has interested me on and off but I guess there is no replacement for displacement!

@Carl, in your opinion what is the difference between the JDM and UKM EP3, I know they have an LSD and are mapped for higher octane fuel but anything else?.
Hi mate there are many differences - some cosmetic and some tuning/mapping and handling wise.

Engine Capacity & Type:
Both have the Honda K20A engine which is a 2.0L (1998cc) i-VTEC DOHC 16v IL-4

Maximum Power:
UK EP3 = 200ps (197bhp) @ 7400rpm
JDM EP3 = 215ps (212bhp) @ 8000rpm

Maximum Torque:
UK EP3 = 196Nm @ 5900rpm
JDM EP3 = 202Nm @ 7000rpm (JDM spec)

UK Spec - NO LSD
JDM spec - HAS LSD

UK = 6.6s (0-60mph)
JDM = 6.4s (0-60mph) & same for '04+ facelift spec)

The JDM EP3 is equipped with aeroform bumpers, RECARO front bucket seats, a MOMO leather-wrapped steering wheel, and produces a higher power output. One of the main important facotrs (non power related IMO is that the JDM is available in Honda's Championship White with the trademark RED RECARO front bucket seats.

The performance & specification of the JDM supplied car is much superior to the UK version.

djdoc360 said:
EP3 is the 2000 CTR right?
Yes mate the EP3 is the 2000 CTR onwards - to add to this its a known fact that a lot of the Stock EK9 Civic type R's running the B16 engine are capable of keeping up with the UK EP3 due to the amazing power delivery and handling capabilities of the car.

When I had my DC2 which I sold in Feb to give me more money towards buying another house (which I still have not done due to the poxy financial market being up and down) I had many EP3's trying to have a play on both the Roads and also Brands and Goodwood Race circuit and none ever even got close to me, however there were a few EK9's being driven by my friends (who also know how to drive the Honda cars to their limit and they were pretty close to me mainly being pushed away on the straights due to the DC2's higher torque and its B18C's power delivery.

One thing I know is that my DC2 is and was capable of givnig my EVO6 a run for its money as the power to weight delivery is amazing and I have the vtec kick in at 5800rpm and it went all the way to 9200rpm abd never missed a beat.

Hope this helps,

If anyone want to know more I will check here occasionally or email me on

carl_j_hammond1@hotmail.com

Carl Hammond said:
Hi mate there are many differences - some cosmetic and some tuning/mapping and handling wise.

Engine Capacity & Type:
Both have the Honda K20A engine which is a 2.0L (1998cc) i-VTEC DOHC 16v IL-4

Maximum Power:
UK EP3 = 200ps (197bhp) @ 7400rpm
JDM EP3 = 215ps (212bhp) @ 8000rpm

Maximum Torque:
UK EP3 = 196Nm @ 5900rpm
JDM EP3 = 202Nm @ 7000rpm (JDM spec)

UK Spec - NO LSD
JDM spec - HAS LSD

UK = 6.6s (0-60mph)
JDM = 6.4s (0-60mph) & same for '04+ facelift spec)

The JDM EP3 is equipped with aeroform bumpers, RECARO front bucket seats, a MOMO leather-wrapped steering wheel, and produces a higher power output. One of the main important facotrs (non power related IMO is that the JDM is available in Honda's Championship White with the trademark RED RECARO front bucket seats.

The performance & specification of the JDM supplied car is much superior to the UK version.

Yes mate the EP3 is the 2000 CTR onwards - to add to this its a known fact that a lot of the Stock EK9 Civic type R's running the B16 engine are capable of keeping up with the UK EP3 due to the amazing power delivery and handling capabilities of the car.

When I had my DC2 which I sold in Feb to give me more money towards buying another house (which I still have not done due to the poxy financial market being up and down) I had many EP3's trying to have a play on both the Roads and also Brands and Goodwood Race circuit and none ever even got close to me, however there were a few EK9's being driven by my friends (who also know how to drive the Honda cars to their limit and they were pretty close to me mainly being pushed away on the straights due to the DC2's higher torque and its B18C's power delivery.

One thing I know is that my DC2 is and was capable of givnig my EVO6 a run for its money as the power to weight delivery is amazing and I have the vtec kick in at 5800rpm and it went all the way to 9200rpm abd never missed a beat.

Hope this helps,

If anyone want to know more I will check here occasionally or email me on

carl_j_hammond1@hotmail.com
Also just to add

In 2001 Honda introduced the next generation of the Civic Type R (EP3) as a unique 3 door hatchback to the UK market, which was manufactured in Swindon, England.

This later UK market Civic Type R features a 197hp 2.0L i-VTEC engine (K20A) and the regular Type R treatment of seam welding, close ratio transmission and uprated brakes,

BUT the UK market does include some of the other higher-end features, such as the helical LSD and Recaro race-seats, that were standard in the previous generation.

This however, does not pertain to the JDM version of the EP3 (which is also manufactured in Swindon, but shipped to Japan for finishing touches), which retains the highly renowned helical LSD similar to that of the EK9. Other differences include more track-oriented chassis and undercarriage settings as compared to the UK market model, as well as a 215ps engine with different camshafts and ECU programming.

The UK market model is less focused with more relaxed gear ratios and some high rpm horse power traded for low rpm torque

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Carl, I always liked the attention to detail on the R cars and its nice to understand a little more. I was reading about NSX's recently, amazing cars, some of the details are still ahead of their time. The second hand market for NSX's is more expensive than the UK they are that highly thought of here still.

All the best,
Jim

campbellju said:
Thanks Carl, I always liked the attention to detail on the R cars and its nice to understand a little more. I was reading about NSX's recently, amazing cars, some of the details are still ahead of their time. The second hand market for NSX's is more expensive than the UK they are that highly thought of here still.

All the best,
Jim
No problem mate, I knwo what you mean an ex GTI-R owner from when I had mine who is a good friend of mine recently sold an L reg NA1 NSX-R (thats one rare beast to say the least).

He had an NA2 NSX (not the NA2 NSX-R) sold that for an NA1 NSX-R, I was honoured enough to have driven both and WOW the car is so well balanced and focussed its un-real, my dad's got a DB9 along with various other cars and considering a Gallardo Superlegra LP540 or Ferrari 599 next but I keep on about the NA2 NSX-R, one of the only cars in existance to INCRE$SE in value.

Baz sold his NA1 NSX-R about 5 months ago for just short fo 40K and now it'd have been worth £55K, the NA2 NSX-R's fetch anythnig from £80K - £105K

But honestly after owning all the cars apart from the NSX SO FAR I woudl recommned the Honda Type R Series listed below over a GTI-R for the following things in a car if you looking for them

DC2 UKDM
DC2 JDM 96 and 98 spec
EK9 Civic R
JDM EP3 Civic R

For:

Focus
Power to weight
Feel
Reliability
Looks
History
Heritage
HIGH Revving :)
Track Focussed Fun

THe list goes on mate - GTI-R's are good BUT and there is a but, they are now OLD, un-reliable and in my opinion very very over rated as cars, I had mine whent hey were a lot newer and had a new image but now its the opposite for the wrong reasons.