gtir aem engine management

PaulB

ive been looking at these too.

Dont think its a case of it being better, its a plug and play ecu, gonna do the same thing.
Its getting harder to find a power fc nowadays, so maybe its worth a go, now too bad price wise either.
Just need to find a tuner to map it for you.

Heres a link........... AEM MANAGEMENT CLICKY

O

Odin

The AEM is far superior to the Power FC , Rishi is just about to have one fitted to his project 700.

You have a lot more mapping points on the AEM plus launch control data logging and much much more, It's like comparing a donkey and a race horse lol.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulB

Blimey, deffo sounds like its worth the money as a standalone ecu. Think the days of the apexi are gone as you cant really get em anymore.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
FAR FAR superior to the PowerFC. But remember that you need those MAP, EGT and AIT sensors and then you need to have them specially fitted and with the likes of the MAP Sensor you want it reading off a box that feeds off all the butterflies.

But at the end of the day this thing will have a map to control the cooling of my gearbox among many other neat tricks! ;-)

Rishi

ashills

id let the guinea pigs do alot of testing this before touching, the gtr boys thought it was great but alot wont touch now de to weird stuff like timing altering 10 degrees between dyno runs and such like
the software is very nice with lots of features and underneath is gems so SHOULD be ok

Rishi

ashills said:
id let the guinea pigs do alot of testing this before touching, the gtr boys thought it was great but alot wont touch now de to weird stuff like timing altering 10 degrees between dyno runs and such like
the software is very nice with lots of features and underneath is gems so SHOULD be ok

That issue was only with the GTR's though.. EVO's and others haven't had any issues... Not that i know of anyway..

Sam the Dentist happily maps these for his EVO customers.. ;-)

Rishi

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
123 gtir said:
is it better than power fc ???
Tccehnicaly it is more sophisticated, no argument. At times its also too clever by half. Quick ananolgy of the way each calculates the required fuel:

PowerFC fuel calaculation: 2 + 3 + 4 = 9

AEM fuel claculation 2 + ((7 x 4) - (7 x 3)) = 9

The "9" is the fuel the car actually needs and is ultimately set by the skill of the person mapping the car.

An old engineering joke, "If its not broke, its not got enough features". The AEM's sophistication is also its problem as it can make its results seem random when either a sensor or the enviroment changes outside the original tolerances. The "9" suddenly becomes an 8.5 for no apparent reason. I don't beleieve this is any inherent fault with the AEM just a lack of understanding of its operation and its failure modes.

The PFC Pro commander is a shockingly bad tool for any mapper but strap on a datalogit and you can have launch control, use a MAP sensor and I believe it can be modified for air temperature but I'll wait until Summer until I start playing with that.

Stu is looking into an AEM vs PFC as once I've mapped my car I'll be helping him with his. For us the issue is the PFC is not available anymore. I feel confident we can get an AEM to work but this is by us spending days tuning out the gremlins and not just expecting the perfect map in 4 hours.

An old control engineering Philosphy "Don't stand when you can sit and don't sit when you can lie down". Roughly translated as "don't use a computer where a relay will do and don't use a relay when you can fit a thermostat"

A management controled gearbox oil cooler, Rob/Rishi why? Its just control engineering bling. I think I just answered my own question there ;-)

Any engine management comes down to the experience of the mapper, if you're mapper is comfortable with an AEM/PFC/E-manage, sticking one on an R won't be a problem. If he's not then the map might come out worse than just sticking on a simple Air/Fuel Controller.

This fact was proven recently when some German memebers paid good money for the worst PFC maps in the entire world. :x

If you're not doing it yourself, buy the management your mapper suggests, not the one which is cheaper or more sophisticated.

Last edited:

ashills

power fc shouldnt be a problem soon where gonna use a 200sx unit and go d jetro once we have some testing done ill report back

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
ashills said:
power fc shouldnt be a problem soon where gonna use a 200sx unit and go d jetro once we have some testing done ill report back
That's the route I'm trying to convince Stu to go but has more unknowns at the moment. My take is you have to change the stock ignition at some point anyway so doing it because of the management is no big deal

Rishi

campbellju said:
A management controled gearbox oil cooler, Rob/Rishi why? Its just control engineering bling. I think I just answered my own question there ;-)

We decided to use the ECU to control the gearbox cooling system so that it would automatically be kept to its best operating temps. Flying round a track i wont have time to look at a gauge and then turn a switch on and off. Letting the ECU take care of it all is far better!

campbellju said:
Any engine management comes down to the experience of the mapper, if you're mapper is comfortable with an AEM/PFC/E-manage, sticking one on an R won't be a problem. If he's not then the map might come out worse than just sticking on a simple Air/Fuel Controller.
Sam is mapping my car and knows this AEM, GEMS, Motec, PowerFC all very well indeed. So i know its in good hands! ;-)

Rishi

Mr GTiR

I'm just giving my PFC to Uncle Ian and let him map it. When i spoke to him, he advised me against the Emanage for my car and to stick with PFC, even though he knew i would be supplying the PFC Pro.

123 gtir

wow lads good feedback just been in touch with R.C cost for the sencers around £150 which is not bad plusss you dont use your m.a.f they told me,
sounds the way to go at the mo if you dudes know were the best place to buy from let us know :>

Rishi

123 gtir said:
wow lads good feedback just been in touch with R.C cost for the sencers around £150 which is not bad plusss you dont use your m.a.f they told me,
sounds the way to go at the mo if you dudes know were the best place to buy from let us know :>

Thats why i said MAP Sensor. You will also want the AIT and EGT.

Rishi