had a RR done, results are..... problems, mayb

D

DaOne

Hi all, i went to a scooby RR day today and i managed to get my gtir on.

i am running standard boost, got a aftermarket exhaust and apexi air filter.

268.4 bhp @ 6772 rmp (114 mhp)

211.0 lbft @ 6439 rpm

9psi boost

all done at clive atthowe tuning in norwich

but the bloke only went up to 6400 rpm as he said it was running lean.

what do you think could be causing this? fuel pump may be? timing is out mayb?

it has had a fuel filter changed in the last couple of weeks.

has not got a boost controler on it

thanks ian

p.s can we keep it in this bit of the forum please, as i can not post in other sections

SickBoy

Pay your 20 quid dude then you will be able to access all areas !!!!

Remember the fuel pumps are 15 years old its a cheap mod and you will need it when you want to up the boost !!! so swap for a walbro to be safe

Lee

OZ-Racing

DaOne said:
i am running standard boost, got a aftermarket exhaust and apexi air filter.

268.4 bhp @ 6772 rpm (114 mph)

211.0 ftlb @ 6439 rpm

9psi boost
Sounds a bit too good for just those mods. Are you sure it's only 9psi (0.62 bar) and no other mods, like turbo upgrade? :? :twisted:

rayman75

that is a good score, maybe look down the walboro route like sickboy said, and get some sort of safcII or e-manage.

wots the RR like at atthowe tuning in norwich, not heard much about them, as they are alittle local to me, does he know the R at all???

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It maybe worth checking the pump is getting the right voltage and that the earth isn't corroded.

D

DaOne

got a new uprated fuel pump on its way, i had a look today and it still has the standard pump in it.

any one live in the cambridge area who fances having a look at my R to see if they can find any goodies on it?

OZ-Racing

DaOne said:
any one live in the cambridge area who fances having a look at my R to see if they can find any goodies on it?
You can come along next time we have a mini-meet and we'll all take a look.
Unfortunately our meets are pretty random and last-minute:roll:
We are due for 1 soon though ;-) :-D

antgtir

The power curve is very nice and smooth mate. By the looks of it the guy didnt take his foot off the gas until he hit around the 6800rpm mark. From my experience the power drops off after arounf the 6200rpm ish so there really isnt much benefit (on a standard R) in taking it further than that.

Is this rolling road a decent one i.e. accurate? as this power and torque figure do seem very high for just an exhaust, are you sure it hasn't been chipped?

My standard R apart from a mongoose exhaust made 229bhp and about 195lbft of torque (at the fly wheel) which is about right, this was carried out at Well Lane Turbo Centre the peak power was hit at 6275rpm.

Buy yourself a fuel controller (e.g SAFC2) which also monitors the knock sensor and see what readings you get.

Ant.

D

DaOne

how can i tell if it has been chipted?

the rolling road is ment to be a v good one, the scoobys seam to like it there. i went on a scooby meet, and there was time at the end to do a RR on my gtir as a few people didnt turn up

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The power drops off as soon as he took his foot off the clutch, hinting that if he'd kept his foot on the gas longer, the power may have continued climbing, in which case something isn't standard.....cams maybe?

D

DaOne

he said the power was still coming on, but he had to stop as it was gettin to lean.

i have ordered a up rated fuel pump to put on as had a look the other day and it still has the standard one in place.

any easy way to check the cams?

J

justin666

DaOne said:
how can i tell if it has been chipted?
Dig out your ecu from under your dash and have a good look at it :-D. You may find a piggy back ECU sitting on top of your ECU or maybe even a non standard ECU.

Other thing to do is to open up the unit and see whats inside.

If its standard it may look like this..

OR, it may have an uprated daughter board in it like this...

If you cant find anything out of the ordinary as far as the elctronics goes then I would start looking at the turbo and cams cause something has defor been done to it to make that power:-D

J.

D

DaOne

fitted the uprated fuel pump now, and i cant really tell any difference?? is this normal?

Dooie Pop Pop

your wont notice an increase power with a new fuel pump unless there was a problem with the old one. if you still have a fueling issue check the fuel pressure regulator and injectors.

Stu

D

DaOne

is it worth putting a injector cleaner through it? also would the maf sensor (air flow sensor??)

the fuel pressure regulator, are these expensive to buy? is it best going standard or up rated?

Dooie Pop Pop

standard will do upto 500bhp if your injectors are big enough. if its still not revving properly id be looking at pump voltages/earth under load ie at high revs.

D

DaOne

it reves fine, the people at the RR just said it was getting very lean at the top end, so stopted the RR.

(i have added you yo my msn if ya wanna chat on there?)