Has my bottom end gone???

S

Sam P

Hoe can i tell if my bottom end has gone , when the car is stationary it makes a funny grinding/ whiring sort of noise down the drivers side. The car has 2 bar oil pressure at stationary and 4-5 when on throttle. When i checked the oil which is 5W-40W it was on the minimum mark. The car still pulls well and it is not a knocking sound so what could it be, Could it be any of the pullies that the belt runs round??? Thannks in advance for your help. Also how would i be able to tell if the bottom end had gone:thumbsup:

EVOBAD

oil presure seems ok,if it was bottom end was going ther would be a very loud knocking noise & car woundnt be pully that good,the only belts on driverside are alternator-aircon check them if ther worne they will whine

S

Sam P

yeah i thought there would be aknocking the noise goes away when i rev it , it sound like a grinding rumbling sort v noise comes and goes every second or so. could it be a bearing on 1 ov the pullys as there was a squeeking noise last week, would there be a drop in compression if the shells had gone???? or something like that. what should the compression roughly be

samgtir

mine was doing the same thing, try turning your air con on and listen to see if the noise goes, mine did so i just got a shorter belt from halfords and cut out the air con compressor.

S

Sam P

Thnaks for the replys i will try that later ive just moved into a house today and the noise started , the joys:lol: so it doesnt sound like the bottom end to any1 then and any1 know what the compression should be??

S

Sam P

would the noise go away if i turned the steering wheel???? and would it go away if i put the air con on???

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Sam P said:
would the noise go away if i turned the steering wheel???? and would it go away if i put the air con on???
Surprised no-one has said this but get that $hit oil out of your car before condemning anything.That oil is far too thin :doh:

S

Sam P

awww shit what would that do could it knacker it, told it, would be ok because of the cold , would 10w-40w be ok

Paul20

most people tend to use 10w50 or 10w60 in there motors. either or is fine, im sure there is a couple of posts on here about brands etc

S

Sam P

yeah but could this oil have done the bottom end in, but its not knocking its more ov a grinding, will 10w-40w be ok

S

Sam P

I really hope you are right mate, thanks for every1's input, would i be able to tell with a compression test, is 10w - 40w oil ok, and how much roughly can you get a bottom end for, considering the worst

huu-raa

i had the same noise from drivers side wheel when idle

2 days ago a removed the aircon and put new belts on , one the aircon compressor was out the pulley bearing was noisy .

not the noise aint as bad at idle but theres still something there making noise lol maybe just the engine

tend to quiet down once heat up

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If your bottom end has gone you'd know it.

Compression test won't show anything

Try this, diving along slowley in 2nd or 3rd and whilst still driving pull the hand brake on and try to accelerate (empty road) if the bottom end has gone you will here a definate knocking, or just try the above without the braking bit but in a low gear going up hill.

10w - 40w oil is ok but a full synthetic 10 - 15w 50w is better, Silkolene Pro S or Pro R is the one to go for.

nimhbk

bag of rusty old bits

hi ya fella your R has the same problem as mine, sounds like fine tin grinding down at the bottom of driverside,also when driving does you tracking feel really out, as mine pulls all the time to the left, which leaves me to think it the power steering pump anyway it is at TGM Motor sport, who i have to say is one very cheap and also very good work wise, (they produce dc5 honda race cars to any spec) should get it back this week so will be able to tell you what it was and a price on fixing.

anyone down south who has a problem with there rally or race spec car should give tom at Tgm shout http://www.tgmsports.co.uk/

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
If you use fully synthetic 15/50 or even 15/60 or similar,it might reduce any noise the engine is making.Sometimes if an oil is too thin it can give you a horrible top end rattle.

Change the oil and filter 1st then if the noise is still audible,you can try and diagnose exactly what might have gone wrong,if anything ;-)

P

pulsarboby

ok! remove both belts 10 minute job. then start the car and see what happens, if noise has stopped physically spin each pulley in turn and see if there are any whirring or bearing type noises!
another possible cause is your crankshaft pulley damping rubber is breaking up (very common) so have a good look at this whilst belts are off.
really does not sound like bottom end trouble!

EVOBAD

another noise which sounds like a whine is when the clutch release bering is on the way out leave car idle push clutch in see if noise goes