Has my ecu been played with??

N

Nik_GTI-R

Ok as ive said in other posts,when i bought my pulsar i was told the standard ecu had been remapped.Removed it 2day to have a look but i couldnt see anything obvious as to suggest it had been re-mapped.So i took some pics.I couldnt get it right out as there was a wire coming from under the ecu and it was spliced into another 2 wires.There is also other wires the come from the main plug that have been cut and joined and others added on.Are these normal??Or are they for sumthing else.Hope sum1 can help.

'

Cheers

gunmetalgtir

Looks like a standard ECU to me mate, no idea what's going on with your wiring though!!

Do you have an SAFC, narrowband A/F gauge or anything like that in the car?

N

Nik_GTI-R

Nope only got boost gauge and turbo timer.It has had other stuff installed tho because there is tiny screw holes on the side of the dash(next to passengers knees).
Next step will be to follow the wires and see where they go.But it looked like they came back into the ecu loom.Maybe not tho.

mattytappy

by the looks of what wires have been spliced i would say that its had an safc installed at some point or some other type of fuel controller for sure...as for the ecu it looks pretty standard in there:roll: i think that if the standard ecu has been messed with you would see a daughter board or a chip that would stick out from the rest..?

gunmetalgtir

I feel sorry for you mate! This car doesn't have some of the stuff stated in the spec list! :doh:

What about all the other mods??

I'd be paying the seller of the car a wee visit! :evil:

N

Nik_GTI-R

gunmetalgtir said:
I feel sorry for you mate! This car doesn't have some of the stuff stated in the spec list! :doh:

What about all the other mods??

I'd be paying the seller of the car a wee visit! :evil:
Only thing it dosnt have is the remapped ecu.It dosnt have the HKS pistons either but he didnt state that in the add.I actually think he looked and cudnt see the 54C,so assumed they were uprated.Thing is u need to look to the right when looking down the plug hole.:doh:

So far ive found it has,
FMIC,
Walbro,
HKS Superflow filter,
NGKR plugs,
Mongoose turbo back exhaust,
Boost controller,
Dump Valve.

Only thing left to check is Steel HG,dunno how im gonna do that tho.lol

Do u know steve i take it??

gunmetalgtir

Nope, don't know him at all mate! Just know he was on this for a brief period of time.

Not having a go mate, just saying that I'd be raging if I had bought a car and it didn't have everything that the previous owner said it did!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Nik_GTI-R said:
Only thing it dosnt have is the remapped ecu.It dosnt have the HKS pistons either but he didnt state that in the add.I actually think he looked and cudnt see the 54C,so assumed they were uprated.Thing is u need to look to the right when looking down the plug hole.:doh:
So he couldn't see the 54C or so he claims and then just assumed that they were HKS Pistons despite the existance of all the other Piston Manufaturers.. Was that his expert opinion.. :lol: What a Joke!

The ECU is standard.. Normally when you remap the Standard ECU you need to wire in a Daughter Board for the mapping alterations.. May have had something wired into the loom in the past..

Not sure you can check the head gasket.. Compression check 'could' give an indication but again depends on the Head Gasket he claims to be fitted.. Normally you would use a 1.2mm head gasket and you would have had to skim the head as well, so, the compression may be higher than standard but then depends on the condition of the internals.. Someone like Kiera may be able to give you a better answer here..

N

Nik_GTI-R

gunmetalgtir said:
Nope, don't know him at all mate! Just know he was on this for a brief period of time.

Not having a go mate, just saying that I'd be raging if I had bought a car and it didn't have everything that the previous owner said it did!
Im not really to fussed tbh i got a good deal out of it.I dont actually think he was 100% sure if it had the un-noticable bits either.

U have pm in a few mins.

Rishi

gunmetalgtir said:
Keira's like a friggin' walking wikipedia! :lol:
I wouldn't rely on him/her then!! You know you can freely edit those pages in Wiki don't you? i.e there will be many things in there that may not be very accurate or just made up..

gunmetalgtir

RishiGTiR said:
I wouldn't rely on him/her then!! You know you can freely edit those pages in Wiki don't you? i.e there will be many things in there that may not be very accurate or just made up..
Exactly! like Keira's sex change story?? ;-)

Seriously though the man is a fountain of knowledge unlike Rob who's a fountain of bullshit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

nex

so you can see the code on the piston through the spark plug socket. My pulsar also has certain items missing said to be on the car when i bought it and have since found missing. I was going to take the car off the road the end of Jan to strip the engine down to look at the pistons, the add only said "forged pistons" not what type so im interesting in seeing this 54C imprint, any tips if "through the plug hole" as it were is an option?

Cheers lads, helpful as always!

N

Nik_GTI-R

U need to look down it at an angle.Dont look straight down.It shud be marked on the right hand side so look down to the right.Use a bright torch or a maglite or sumin.U can only see 54 and a small bit of the C.

nex

oh and from waht I understand, on the standard ECU there is a jumper to make it read from its standard chips or an external source, this external source is the 40 pin connector/solder pads on the left of your first pic. if it was messed with it'd have something connected to that. ie like a MINES ecu has a daughter board hooked onto them.

nex

Cheers! I shall be having a look the weekend! :) and then deciding what action to take on the outcome!

CanadianR

this is probably going to get flamed, but a friend of mine said that all the sr20 parts were forged or something? Not on the same level as uprated jobbies lkike HKS or CP, but ?????????

Rishi

CanadianR said:
this is probably going to get flamed, but a friend of mine said that all the sr20 parts were forged or something? Not on the same level as uprated jobbies lkike HKS or CP, but ?????????

Run and hide dude!! :lol: